RE: [linux-distros-dev] PHPeclipse 1.1.8 rpm

Matt Ryan wrote about phpeclipse:
>Looks good, Ben; I'm wondering, why PHPeclipse, and not the Zend PHP
editor for Eclipse?
Matt:
For my standpoint, one of the problem with the Zend PHP project at
Eclipse is that it explicitely does not provide built-in support for
debugging, but instead support for the non-free zend php debugger, based
on a spec that they are the only ones to implement.
You can check the phpide newsgroup @ eclipse for some discussion on that
topic at the time the project was started.
Apart from that it is more than decent. :-)

In contrast, Phpeclipse supports dbg, and will support xdebug (in CVS
for now, but unfinished): both are free and open source debuggers.
In terms of popularity, phpeclipse has had several 100,000 of downloads
and a solid community which has been providing feedback and help to grow
it in a mature environment.

You can make your own decision based on that.
But do not take my word for it, as I am an involved party.

--
Cheers
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com
nexB - Open by Design (tm) - http://www.nexb.com
http://easyeclipse.org  -  irc://irc.freenode.net/easyeclipse

> I just posted a packaged version of PHPeclipse 1.1.8 here:

http://people.redhat.com/bkonrath/eclipse/eclipse-phpeclipse-1.1.8-4.src
.rpm

Looks good, Ben; I'm wondering, why PHPeclipse, and not the Zend PHP
editor for Eclipse?

-MR

Back to the top