Re: [jwt-dev] GSOC 2010 - Project Idea relating to JWT

Hi Chathura

First welcome to the mailing list and thanks for standing up and considering working on a JWT GSOC project !

GSOC projects are also there so you can learn new things, so you can start with no technical experience in the technologies that you will use, and we will help you to get on track (I've managed a few interns on my own in my company, and Chris also at his university).
  * However, knowing Java development is required.
  * Having used Eclipse is a plus (but that's an easy one).
* Knowing how to develop Eclipse plugins, or even Eclipse modeling (EMF), would be great, but that's not that hard, especially with all the Developers Howto in the JWT wiki :)

Finally, we'll help you but we won't be in the same room, so you have to be able to work on your own and to like it !

Since JWT aims at bridging the various aspects of Business Process Management (BPM), possible developments and target technologies are quite diverse, including SOA technologies and other Eclipse SOA projects. Here are a few :

1. Develop one or more new transformations to or from other BPM formats, using JWT's Transformation framework so JWT becomes more interoperable with them. That's the easiest, but probably not enough for a whole GSOC project. See existing ones at http://eclipse.org/jwt/components/transformations/index.php . Cool new ones :
  * JWT to XPDL 2.0 . NB. There is already one to XPDL 1.0.
* JWT 2 jPDM (jBoss jBPM). There is already a prototype, but you would have to make it work and enrich it with additional features. * XPDL (1 or 2) to JWT, to be able to reverse engineer existing XPDL workflows. * technologies are (and/or) : ATL, XSL, EMF... in addition to said BPM languages or engines

2. Deeper, integrate another BPM / workflow engine in JWT, building on such a transformation, but also on the JWT Task Engine Framework. That's what the OW2 Scarbo ( http://scarbo.ow2.org ) project did with the Bonita engine. Cool ones would be :
  * jBoss jBPM
  * Bonita 5 (Bonita 4 already supported in Scarbo)
* technologies : in addition to the chosen transformation technology and BPM format and engines, Java server development.

3. Integrate JWT with other Eclipse SOA projects. Exemple : with the Mangrove SOA Modeling Framework. * see here http://www.thebitsource.com/software-engineering/the-eclipse-mangrove-soa-modeling-framework/ what Mangrove is about. * the goal is that you can design services, ex. in the SCA Editor or webservices in the webservice editor, and see them pop up in JWT as workflow applications, ready to be integrated in a workflow - and vice versa. The graal of SOA - BPM design integration :)
  * technologies : EMF, transformations (see below), possibly GEF.
* You also would have to think about the end-user functionalities and the integration architecture, ex. design-time service repository, or Eclipse Builder (like Juan Cadavid did last year for STP IM).

4. Develop a new view, using the JWT View framework
* example : BPMN. This is the one proposed at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2010_Ideas , but Ilshat has already written a good proposition at http://wiki.eclipse.org/JWT_BPMN_VIEW .

Other are possible, like adapting JWT to specific uses, or improving its monitoring features.

If you like one of those, I'll put it on the Eclipse GSOC page, then I'll help you write a proposal for it.

And sorry for not answering earlier, I must have skipped your email !

Regards,
Marc Dutoo
JWT co-lead

Chathura Randika a écrit :
HI all,

I am undergraduate at University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka. I am interested the project idea relating to JWT under GSOC project ideas. I haven't prior experience in participating this kind of events. So I want to how much of technical experience needed for me to enroll in this project. Also I would glad to know what kind of back ground area that I want to cover before entering to this kind of project.

--
Chathura Randika
Dept of Computer Science & Engineering