AW: AW: [jwt-dev] About the JWT Model

Hi Pierre,

>>public static boolean isFork(AndControlNode node) {
	return (node.getIn().size() == 1)  && (node.getOut().size() >= 1); }

>>public static boolean isJoin(AndControlNode node) {
	return (node.getIn().size() >= 1)  && (node.getOut().size() == 1); }

Yes, I agree that with the help of such simple methods one can find out
whether it is a join or a fork node. But those do not prevent a user
actually to model a fork and a join in one. This means that a user can now
have an AndControlNode with several incoming and several outgoing edges. And
then several algorithms would fail and the only thing the system could tell
the user is to model according to predefined modeling guidelines where the
restriction is made, that either an AndControlNode has several incoming OR
several outgoing edges. I can't say whether this is an advantage or more a
disadvantage.

I know that UML is not the best example, because its semantics is very often
only defined by texts, but in the definition of Activity Diagrams the
following different kinds of control nodes are defined: DecisionNode,
MergeNode, ForkNode and Join Node (besides others). For DecisionNode the
specification says that it has one incoming edge. So at least for our UML
view we will later on need this distinction again!

Other languages like YAWL also assume that there are differences between
AND-split and AND-join, but of course, this comes from the academic area and
was defined according to the "Workflow Patterns" by the group around van der
Aalst, so might not be so important for practical interoperability.

On the other hand I also see EPCs or BPMN, where there is no distinction
between Fork and Join (Decision/Merge), but where on the other hand
additional gateways are introduced (like event-based XOR, Complex, etc.).

So in order to allow JWT to have a full BPMN view it is probably strange, if
there are several gateways that only allow to have one incoming or outgoing
edge and have other gateways that don't prohibit that.

Therefore, in the longterm I agree that removing these more specific
AndControlNodes (ForkNode and JoinNode) and XorControlNodes (DecisionNode
and MergeNode) would make sense, but then these should be available in
aspect-extended plugins such as the UML view that we currently have.

But of course, this will require

- a new conversion mechanism between old workflow-files and the new files.
Currently the update-mechanism only allows to have additional nodes, but not
to have less nodes in a newer (meta)model
- the finalization of the new view-mechanisms Chris is currently working on
including a conversion mechanism between different views (a DecisionNode in
UML is displayed as XorControlNode in other views, but should be displayed
as DecisionNode again in the UML view, but of course this is related to all
kinds of aspects later on)

Do you think that it would be a problem to have these nodes (DecisionNode,
MergeNode, ForkNode, JoinNode) again in aspect-based views? What are the
thoughts from others concerning this topic?

Are there other things in the metamodel that you think should be removed?

Best regards,

Florian