AW: [jwt-dev] About the JWT Model

Hi all,

I agree that currently the restrictions of ForkNode and JoinNode
(DecisionNode and MergeNode respectively) (having only a single incoming or
outgoing edge) are only contained in the workflow editor and that this is
not a good thing. However, I would prefer to leave them in the metamodel,
but additionally adding some OCL constraints which actually say that a
DecisionNode is not allowed to have more than one incoming node (others
similar).

There are plenty of algorithms (e.g. for validation) that require that a
process model has And-Split and And-Join (as well as XOR-Split and XOR-Join)
and that would fail if we would remove these nodes from the metamodel.

More specifically, I currently got a group of students who are creating a
first version of a JWT validation plugin and that require the DecisionNode,
MergeNode, ForkNode and JoinNode. If we would now remove these nodes from
the metamodel, their work cannot be finished or is not valid or usable in
the end anymore. Their validation approach builds on an idea of IBM called
Fast Heuristics and makes some simple checks concerning deadlocks and lack
of synchronization. I will soon create a bug describing their work.

>>But we are concerned on compatibility issues raised by the model.

That's exactly what I am concerned about, too, so I guess we will come to a
conclusion that does fit all.

>>Basically, in the model we may have only two elements : Node and Edges.

Yes, I agree with that and refer to a comment made already before: when the
aspect mechanism is perfectly working we might think about outsourcing all
elements of the current metamodel to several profiles/conf-files. Then we
could have a plugin with a metamodel ActivityNode / ActivityEdge, another
one which introduces the concepts of Actions and some ControlNodes. A third
one that has all ControlNodes, StructuredActivityNode and ActivityLinkNode
and a forth one containing the extensions concerning Data, Application
and/or Roles. But for the moment I would rather stay with working things
than removing them and having something that doesn't work anymore.

Best Regards,

Florian