Re: AW: [jwt-dev] View extension point and default views

Hi Chris Rodrigue

Later on the right way should be to let vendors specify their own customized view file in their plugins.

I'd say even the default view file should be in its own plugin that would be separated from the view plugin, so if vendors want to have the views feature but not the default views, they just have to take the views plugin but not the default views file plugin. This should remove the requirement for a "disabling" extension point, which is indeed uncommon.

On another topic, such discussions should be in the bugzilla once the appropriate bug exists.

I strongly advise all (present and next future) JWT developers to listen to ALL JWT bug changes (get an eclipse bugzilla account, then look at the bugzilla preferences), so they are aware of everything that happens in JWT development (not excessive usually), rather than only registering to specific bugs.

Regards,
Marc

Christian Saad a écrit :
Hi Rodrigue,

you are right, currently it's not possible to deactivate the default views
in an elegant way without removing the internal view files or deactivating
the loading mechanism. We're currently planning to redo the whole view stuff
(e.g. bugs 249437, 248565 or 249437) to give it a better internal layout and
add additional features like changing the names in the palette/properties
view/outline along with the figure, allowing elements to have different
positions in different views and introducing a nice XML-based configuration
format and - of course - a new view editor. So in the course of this restructuring we're going to consider your request
(I opened a bug: 256134), however I'm not quite sure if using an extension
point would be the right approach since these are usually used to add
functions rather that switching them off. Also, different plugins that are
loaded at the same time could cause conflicting requirements. Would you be
ok if we put an option in the Eclipse preferences menu that allows to switch
off the default views or would this be not sufficient to your demands?

Regards,
Chris