Re: [jnosql-dev] JNoSQL and Jakarta EE

> Am 24.09.2018 um 17:54 schrieb Otávio Gonçalves de Santana <otaviopolianasantana@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Please, check the thread "Move Eclipse JNoSQL forward as a JSR" I put the meeting backlog there from Jakarta EC such as the David Blevins doc from the package definition that uses the Eclipse JNoSQL itself, Mike  Milinkovich decision to move forward with new proposals.

That's a discussion on this list here which is not really a authorative place to decide about upcoming JSRs is it? Also in the documents [0] Werner linked, I only found general discussions about namespaces and JNoSQL being *considered a candidate to first follow the new process*. That's by far not in the ballpark of what the post is suggesting.

> I also explained on the JCP-EC meetings about the decision to wait for the Jakarta EE process.

That's fine. However that does not conclude anything, does it?

> Yes, to be honest, I did not think about it when I wrote. Usually, I write an article from Dzone, JaxCenter or any platform then request to append it as "Community news" in the Eclipse Foundation section. I'll push this feedback.

It casts a pretty bad light on both the vendor and the Jakarta EE process in general as it creates the impression that which new JSR are to be pursued is not decided by an elected committee following a prescribed process but anyone who decides he wants to do that and ends up publishing that fact in a blog post framing it as blessed decision.

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wulckg85DQPGy7vGVlsWhw4H041q-ju5RD-HoYaoqMw/edit?ts=5b871208#

To quote from that document:

> Recruit our first candidate spec willing to announce their interest in using the Jakarta EE spec process. Eclipse JNoSQL was discussed as one potential.

With that JNoSQL is *discussed* as *potential candidate* to announce interest to be willing the new spec. That's not at all what the blog post says. That implies that there has been a formal decision (by the Jakarta EE working group / spec committee) that there will be a NoSQL JSR, which in fact has not been made (yet).

The Eclipse Foundation Specification Process v1.0 document [1] is pretty clear about the way a new specification gets created. It needs the approval of the supermajority of the steering committee (see "Approvals"). Such a vote has not been held yet.

I can totally understand that you're eager to get started. However, you need to understand that someone singlehandedly announcing stuff lack that in a vendor blog post undermines the trust in the way Jakarta EE is governed. We've already had the JCP suffer from problems like these. Let's not repeat that mistake in Jakarta EE.

Cheers,
Ollie

[0] https://docs.google.com/a/eclipse-foundation.org/document/d/1wulckg85DQPGy7vGVlsWhw4H041q-ju5RD-HoYaoqMw/edit?disco=AAAACHCidzI&ts=5b871208&usp=comment_email_document
[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M51ZXlvCNS_X23OZupPs34pbkOuTPxKryZC0buA_smE/edit#heading=h.pmjougscf7ap