Re: [jetty-users] Reasons to Upgrade?

off the top of my head

- jetty7 and 8 are actively maintained production releases, jetty6 has
not had a maintenance release in 1 1/2 years...and at this rate might
not
- jetty7 and 8 have tracked updates in the nio and ssl impls of the
jdk and are considered stable at this point...using the latest jetty
and latest jdk (6.3x+ or 7) nio and ssl should behave
- jetty7 and 8 have support for websocket and spdy protocols which
offer substantial improvements over straight http for many, if not
most usage scenarios (browser support required)
- jetty7 and 8 have about 3 years of improvements over jetty6 at this
point, better logging, improved ssl support, better support for how
mobile devices use http (which is often subtly different then normal
re: pipelining, etc), etc, etc
- jetty7 and 8 are basically the same codebase, with 8 being a thin
layer over 7 to support servlet 3.0 api..they release simultaneously
- jetty9 is under development, will be awesome, and will support
forthcoming servlet 3.1 api, and should be milestoning in a few months
and releasing this year
-- it will be easier to update from 7 or 8 to 9 then from 6 all the way to 9

really it depends on what your usage scenario is on how things improve
with 7 or 8, i would recommend it simply because 6 and many earlier
versions of 7 and 8 had to have hacks in the NIO guts of jetty to work
around known 100% cpu type bugs in the jdk...which using the latest
jdks we were finally able to stripe all those workarounds out and have
a clearer core for 7.6.x and 8.1.x ...which has lead to a wonderful
refactoring of that entire layer in jetty9

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell