Re: [jetty-users] Persistent connections with Opera

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:16, Mario Georgiev <mario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I have a problem with Jetty and Opera browser. The problem is that the
> browser always creates new HTTP connections instead of using a
> persistent one.
> For all other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE) there is no problem when
> they establish a connection and then using the same one to transfer
> more data over it but Opera creates new ones for every resource it
> wants from the server.
> I see these mostly with CometD but also when loading images and other resources.
> I think it have something to do with that Jetty doesn't responds with
> "Connection: keep-alive".
> After some search I found this
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-594 it explains that Jetty does
> not send "Connection: keep-alive" in the response headers with HTTP
> 1.1.
> Can somebody tell me how to enable the "Connection: keep-alive"
> response on HTTP 1.1?

Well, if it is Opera that closes HTTP 1.1 connections, then it's an
Opera bug, since they must be persistent.

Do you have evidence that it is Opera closing the connections, or
perhaps you have an intermediary that only speaks HTTP 1.0 ?
This is often the case of proxies.

You can add the Connection header in a servlet filter, perhaps by
sniffing the User-Agent, but I find *very* strange that Opera ships
with such a gross bug in its HTTP 1.1 implementation.

Simon
--
http://cometd.org
http://intalio.com