Re: [jetty-dev] jetty debug options

Gregw has just pointed out quite rightly that the o.e.j.util.log.DEBUG option is something that only applies to the StdErrLog class. If you're not using that class for your logging (eg you're using log4j or jul etc)
then obviously it will have no effect.

I think that should be made a lot more obvious, so nobody is mislead
into thinking that they're enabling more output from the jetty codebase
irrespective of the logging mechanism used.

I suggest:
org.eclipse.jetty.util.stderr.log.DEBUG

So as this property only affects the StdErrLog class, then we can't
use it to configure debug output during the startup phase (because that class
isn't active yet). I still think that the name of whatever property
we use for this has to make it clear that it is only going to affect
startup logging, and will work regardless of whatever logger you've
plugged in.

I suggest something like:
org.eclipse.jetty.start.log.DEBUG

As both of these are still rather long, then it would be good if gregw's
suggested mechanism could be applied to alias them for the command line.
Maybe START-DEBUG and STDERR-DEBUG? Although the irony is that the START-DEBUG
would be actually produced by stderr printlns, and the STDERR-DEBUG would
be produced by jetty's logging mechanism (which just happens to use
stderr printlns too).

Jan

Jesse McConnell wrote:
oh, +1 that idea