Re: [jetty-dev] jetty debug options

I think the distinction between -DDEBUG (or DEBUG=true) being for
debug for start-up time logging vs org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.DEBUG
being for "runtime" logging is an awfully subtle distinction, and
one that is not at all obvious from the naming.

Do we really have to have the distinction between the logging phases?
Why can't org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.DEBUG work for both startup time
and runtime? Granted that during startup its just going to be stderr
output and during runtime its going to be via the StdErrLog, but there's no reason why those 2 mechanisms can't both check the same system property
is there?

And I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.DEBUG
as a string either - any chance we could we have something a smidgin shorter, like "org.eclipse.jetty.DEBUG" or "org.eclipse.jetty.log.DEBUG"? Actually,
in my heart-of-hearts I'd prefer just "jetty.log.DEBUG" ... but I guess
we're standardizing on the "org.eclipse" prefix?

Jan

Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
There's legacy, backwards compatibility, and elimination of System properties all conspiring to make this confusing.

Also, there's no more distinction between a JVM system property and a start.jar property.

These 2 command lines are equivalent now ...

$ java -jar start.jar DEBUG=true
$ java -DDEBUG=true -jar start.jar

(Note: you can have "DEBUG=true" in your start.ini as well)

Then we have the distinction between the 2 keys ...

DEBUG is for debugging the start.jar & classpath & configuration.
while org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.DEBUG is for turning on the DEBUG logging severity level for the StdErrLog class.

---
Joakim Erdfelt / joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>