[jdt-dev] [UI] JavaDoc readability improvements proposal

Hello

I'm looking for feedback on the proposal for improvements (+ my prototype implementing them) which I think could make rendering of content in JavaDoc hover & view to become more readable.

My main pain point I'm trying to address with the improvements proposal is hard to read method signatures, for example:
index.php/fa/43727/0/
It's very difficult to make sense of the parts of the method signature since everything is just one long bold text and it needs considerable amount of concentration to "decrypt it" and subsequently not loose track of where parts start and where they end, especially with nested parts.

Therefore I propose the styling of the method signature in JavaDoc rendering should be improved so that it would require less cognitive effort to locate specific parts of the signature - parameters, used generic types, etc.

I have working prototype, currently only focused on method signatures in JavaDoc hover, with changes which I believe would help:
index.php/fa/43728/0/

I made the topic on Eclipse Community Forums for purposes of collaboration on this proposal & implementation:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1114002/

Please see the topic for more details on the goals & current status of my prototype. And for some more screenshots and GIFs, also presenting additional improvements.

  1. Would this kind of change be accepted to JDT codebase if I fully implemented it ?
    (following assume answer to #1 is not already a definitive NO)
  2. What’s the best place to collaborate on new visuals & functionality (jdt-dev mailing list / forums topic / elsewhere) ?
  3. Is there specific person / group to have conversation with specifically about visuals / styling ?
  4. For anybody interested in providing feedback to any aspect of the proposal (new styling, interactive behavior, etc.), what’s your suggestion and/or opinion ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jozef‎

Back to the top