Re: [jdt-core-dev] proper command line incremental build

You have probably already seen it, but the method buildAfterBatchBuild in the class IncrementalImageBuilder would be a good place to start. It has the basic incremental loop that you need and maybe you can even reuse all or part of it directly. The principles behind it are pretty simple but the details are quite complicated! Hopefully it will be possible to reuse rather that duplicate the logic in there.

John

From:        Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse JDT Core developers list." <jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        11/17/2013 11:53 AM
Subject:        [jdt-core-dev] proper command line incremental build
Sent by:        jdt-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I am looking to use JDT compiler to implement *proper* incremental java
compiler for a command line build tool (maven, to be specific, but I
think actual build tool is irrelevant). By "proper" I mean correct
handling of inter-class dependencies, so if one source is changed or
deleted, everything that depends on the changed/delete source is
recompiled accordingly.

I am reasonably familiar with how incremental build is implemented in
Eclipse workspace JavaBuilder, but I am wondering if somebody considered
this for command line build and can provide any insight, helper code I
can use, gotchas to watch out for, and so on.

Thank you in advance.

Igor