Re: [imp-dev] IMP for a lisp-like language (clojure)

Hi Laurent,

> Is the X10 implementation an average example of the current capacity of IMP
> in terms of performance ?

No it's not. I have written several other IDE's based on IMP that do
not show this
behavior. I do not now much about the X10 IDE or why it would behave like that.

In my experience the way IMP schedules lexing, parsing, coloring and other IDE
features in a very smooth way. I'm not even using an incremental
parsing algorithm and its
quite fast even for big files.

> I currently have an antlr grammar. I read in the docs that it's feasible to
> use antlr grammars by conforming to IMP interfaces. Is this adaptation to
> interfaces something that must be done just once for antlr, or must it be
> done for each new antlr grammar ? Differently said, do you know of an
> existing work released with an Open Source licence that would already help
> cross/build the antlr/IMP bridge ?

I don't know about existing work connecting ANTLR. Anybody?

I think the great thing about IMP is that you can simply use your
existing tokens and AST's directly.
I've done that two times for two different AST formats now, and it does not have
to take long to get some basic functionality like "parsing while you
type" and syntax highlighting. Some
afternoon programming would set you up and then you can add stuff
(like an outline) incrementally.
Of course it really helps if you know your way around the ANTLR token/ast API's.

Cheers,

Jurgen

Back to the top