Re: [imp-dev] Icon for language files in new IMP-generated plug-in

Hi Andy,

Good to hear from you.  Regarding the icons field that you get with the new language, there are probably a couple of issues.  One is that I don't believe we've ever actually supported it; the other is, even if we did support it, there's probably something more involved to getting the icon used as you'd expect.  This is probably something we should address more clearly in our documentation (so I'll try to do that).

Regarding our support for it, our wizard should take a specified value and do something useful with it.  Right now the wizard ignores the field (along with several others).  Probably what it should do is create an "icons" folder in the project and copy the designated icon into it.  That may be all that can be expected of the wizard at that point.

As for getting the icon into use by Eclipse, I'm not sure of all the ways that might happen.  One way that happens is through a "label provider", which is a class that is available for providing text labels or icons for a given entity (e.g., file or AST node).  We support the generation of a label provider through the New Tree Model Builder / Label Provider wizard.  (The tree model builder is the new approach to developing outline trees for the outline view.  We lump these things together because by default the tree model builder will reference the label provider to get labels and icons for displayed models, as in the outline view.  But I think the wizard allows you to generate either the model builder or label provider individually, if you want to do that.)  Anyway, the part of the wizard that creates the label provider will create an icons folder and copy some default icons into it.  If you look at the generated default implementation of the label provider class, you should see how it returns various texts or icons (or other images) for various kinds of things.  You can customize that to return the icon that you'd like to be used for your files or in your outline.

I suggest running the New Tree Model Builder / Label Provider wizard.  For one, it should create the icons folder, give you a few default icons (that you will probably want to change), and give you a place to manually save the icons that you want to use.  For another, it also gives you the label provider class implementation, which will provide labels and icons for at least some of the contexts where you'd expect to see them (e..g, in the outline view or on editor tabs).  Then you can customize the icons that the provider provides.

Sorry for this confusion.  This is a definite problem, so if you'd like to enter a bug report, please feel free to do that.  If you would prefer, I can enter one instead.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Stan

Stan Sutton, Ph. D.
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
19 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532 USA
telephone:  1-914-784-7316, FAX:  1-914-784-7455, T/L 863
e-mail:  suttons@xxxxxxxxxx, Stan Sutton/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

"Crapo, Andrew (GE, Research)" <crapo@xxxxxx>
Sent by: imp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/18/2008 08:54 AM

Please respond to
IMP Developers List <imp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<imp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[imp-dev] Icon for language files in new IMP-generated plug-in

Glad to see that things are coming together on eclipse.org/imp and that Eclipse 3.3 is now supported.

I installed IMP and LPG on Eclipse 3.3 and created a new plug-in project and language per the instructions at http://www.eclipse.org/imp/documents/IMP_Users_Guide.pdf. In the wizard I specified a project-relative path and icon for my language files but nothing happened--I still get the default eclipse icon for files with my language extension…. Are there instructions for making this work that I'm missing?

Andy

Andrew Crapo
GE Global Research

Information Scientist