Re: [hudson-dev] The core cannot be built :-(

2012/4/12 Stuart McCulloch <mcculls@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The crux of the problem is the hudson-war project that depends on bundled plugins - while this is ok when there are releases it can depend on, it doesn't work with snapshots due to the circularity issue. Separating the WAR assembly project out into a different git repository from the core should avoid this. A related issue is the CVS plugin depends on hudson-plugin-parent, which in turn depends on hudson-war, which depends on the CVS plugin... So bundled plugins should either have a different parent to hudson-plugin-parent, or perhaps hudson-plugin-parent should not depend on the WAR file but instead depend on the core?

I think the dependency tree should be something like

* Hudson core only depends on 3 party software
* Hudson plugin parent is included in the hudson core (because we use
the plugin parent to determine main hudson compat version)
* Hudson plugins depends/use hudson plugin parent
* Hudson war is moved to hudson packaging repository. The standalone
war is just another way for us to package a release.

* Ideal: the hudson core should be split in implementation and api
artifactss so hudson plugin parent only depends on the api

That should break any dependency chains

>> 2. Hudson core cannot build because of pmd errors. The pmd profile is
>> activated by default, so it must be meant to be run
>
> I don't see any pmd errors locally - what errors do you see?

[INFO] --- maven-pmd-plugin:2.5:check (default) @ hudson-core ---
INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionLexer.java:4
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'hudson.model.Label'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionLexer.java:12
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.ANTLRException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionLexer.java:15
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.CharScanner'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionLexer.java:20
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.CommonToken'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionLexer.java:23
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.MismatchedCharException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionLexer.java:25
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.ANTLRHashString'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionLexer.java:28
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.SemanticException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionParser.java:8
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.TokenStreamIOException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionParser.java:9
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.ANTLRException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionParser.java:10
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.LLkParser'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionParser.java:15
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.MismatchedTokenException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionParser.java:16
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.SemanticException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionParser.java:18
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.collections.impl.BitSet'.
[INFO] PMD Failure:
hudson/model/labels/LabelExpressionParserTokenTypes.java:4
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'hudson.model.Label'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabLexer.java:11
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.ANTLRException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabLexer.java:14
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.CharScanner'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabLexer.java:19
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.CommonToken'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabLexer.java:22
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.MismatchedCharException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabLexer.java:26
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.collections.impl.BitSet'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabLexer.java:27
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.SemanticException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabParser.java:7
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.TokenStreamIOException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabParser.java:9
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.LLkParser'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabParser.java:14
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.MismatchedTokenException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabParser.java:15
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.SemanticException'.
[INFO] PMD Failure: hudson/scheduler/CrontabParser.java:17
Rule:UnusedImports Priority:4 Avoid unused imports such as
'antlr.collections.impl.BitSet'.

[INFO] o.e.h.m.e.h.MavenExecutionResultHandler - [1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-pmd-plugin:2.5:check
(default) on project hudson-core: You have 25 PMD violations.

>> 3. Hudson core cannot build because it depends on hudson hpi plugin
>> 3.0.1-SNAPSHOT, but the hudson hpi version in eclipse git is only
>> 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT so building it wont solve the problem.
>
> maven-hpi-plugin.version in core is set to 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT, so afaict it shouldn't be looking for 3.0.1-SNAPSHOT:
>
>   http://git.eclipse.org/c/hudson/org.eclipse.hudson.core.git/tree/hudson-parent/pom.xml#n59

The latest failure (after disabling pmd),

Commencing build of Revision ea0929ef8f6d3e88a0f1c6bb7cdbfcdfd323bcaa
(origin/master)
..
[INFO] Hudson :: War ..................................... FAILURE [1.215s]
ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:2.3:copy
(copyResources) on project hudson-war: Unable to find artifact. Could
not find artifact org.eclipse.hudson.plugins:cvs:hpi:3.0.1-SNAPSHOT in
empty-mirror

(the empty mirror is my catch all mirror to ensure I can build without
relying on public snapshots)

Best regards
Henrik

Back to the top