Re: [hudson-dev] The core cannot be built :-(

On 12 Apr 2012, at 21:10, Henrik Lynggaard Hansen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to build the core git repositories from eclipse, but I am
> not getting very far. It is getting very clear to me that we (or
> rather the core team) is very dependent on building from specific
> machines and with "personal" setups. I think we need to eat our own
> dog food and get hudson on hudson up and running again and get hudson
> building on it.
>
> The list og problems I have encountered so far
>
> 1. Hudson core cannot build until hudson rest plugin is built. However
> the rest plugin cannot build until hudson core has built at leat the
> parent pom (and service jar if I remember). So the solution is to run
> a build of hudson core which fails. Then build hudson rest plugin, and
> then hudson core which now passes the previous error (but fails later
> on)

The crux of the problem is the hudson-war project that depends on bundled plugins - while this is ok when there are releases it can depend on, it doesn't work with snapshots due to the circularity issue. Separating the WAR assembly project out into a different git repository from the core should avoid this. A related issue is the CVS plugin depends on hudson-plugin-parent, which in turn depends on hudson-war, which depends on the CVS plugin... So bundled plugins should either have a different parent to hudson-plugin-parent, or perhaps hudson-plugin-parent should not depend on the WAR file but instead depend on the core?

> 2. Hudson core cannot build because of pmd errors. The pmd profile is
> activated by default, so it must be meant to be run

I don't see any pmd errors locally - what errors do you see?

> 3. Hudson core cannot build because it depends on hudson hpi plugin
> 3.0.1-SNAPSHOT, but the hudson hpi version in eclipse git is only
> 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT so building it wont solve the problem.

maven-hpi-plugin.version in core is set to 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT, so afaict it shouldn't be looking for 3.0.1-SNAPSHOT:

   http://git.eclipse.org/c/hudson/org.eclipse.hudson.core.git/tree/hudson-parent/pom.xml#n59

> Besides actually having hudson built by a CI server to ensure it is
> buildable, I think we should break the circular depdendency between
> core and plugins.

Agreed