Re: [higgins-dev] STS Authentication methods

Hello David,

In IdAS (an API layer that abstracts from different identity related data sources) there is the concept of Authentication Materials:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Authentication_Materials

Authentication Materials are represented by the interface IAuthNMaterials in org.eclipse.higgins.idas.api.
There are some implementation classes (e.g. for username/password, saml token, etc) in org.eclipse.higgins.idas.common.
You need to pass one of them to the IContext.open() method to open an IdAS Context.

E.g. if you want to open an LDAP Context, you may need an AuthNNamePasswordMaterials object (username / password).

Authentication Materials can be (de-)serialized to strings, so that they can be sent over the network (see the AuthNMaterialsSerializer class).

There are pre-defined "type" strings for Authentication Materials in IAuthNMaterials.

Sometimes, the Authentication Materials type or even the Authentication Materials themselves can be discovered from a UDI that points to a Context:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/UDI

So, you could extend this by writing your own class that implements IAuthNMaterials.
Of course you also need an IdAS Context Provider that understands your own type of Authentication Materials.

Maybe this helps a bit. This is generic IdAS information. Unfortunately I don't know so much about how exactly the Higgins STS / Bandit use the IdAS layer.

Markus