RE: [higgins-dev] OpenID Identity in the browser project launched

In anticipation of doing implementation work in Higgins and to facilitate other Higgins efforts that involve OpenID, we need to restart the process of getting approval to use OpenID in Higgins.

Previously we began the process to get approval of Dick Hardt's java version of OpenID, and got Dick's approval.   What OpenID implementation(s) are people currently working with and what implementation do they recommend we get approved?

From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anthony Nadalin
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 12:33 PM
To: Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions
Cc: higgins-dev; higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] OpenID Identity in the browser project launched

What I'm saying is that the specification for a browser identity selector framework be done in an SDO, seems that OIDF has the IPR to do this, and I'm sure that folks from Higgins could contribute to that effort. I assume that once the specification is done then there would be an open source implementation and Higgins may be the place where the framework is done and maybe the providers also

Inactive hide details for Paul Trevithick ---08/08/2008 11:00:55 AM---Interesting. Are you thinking that the Higgins Selector SPaul Trevithick ---08/08/2008 11:00:55 AM---Interesting. Are you thinking that the Higgins Selector Selector API design/spex be contributed into the OpenID effort?

Paul Trevithick <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

higgins-dev <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

08/08/2008 11:00 AM

Re: [higgins-dev] OpenID Identity in the browser project launched

Interesting. Are you thinking that the Higgins Selector Selector API design/spex be contributed into the OpenID effort?

On 8/8/08 10:57 AM, "Anthony Nadalin" <
      In my discussions with these folks over the past weeks, I have suggested that the IPR be done in OpenID (the specification for a identity selector framework) and the open source go to a relevant open source body for the OpenID selector, but I would say that the identity selector framework for that could be here in Higgins.

      [higgins-dev] OpenID Identity in the browser project launched

      Scott Kveton just wrote this post to the OpenID general list:
      (
      http://openid.net/pipermail/general/2008-August/005312.html <http://openid.net/pipermail/general/2008-August/005312.html> )

      This has relevance to Higgins. I don’t think the user wants to install one set of browser extensions to get i-card support and another to get OpenID support. Users want a solution that works regardless of underlying protocol, etc. So I think we have to figure out how these pieces fit together. See how we relate to this project. Figure out the IPR, etc.

      Thoughts?

      -Paul

      -----

      The Identity in the Browser (IDIB for short) project has launched over
      on Google Code today:

      http://idib.googlecode.com <http://idib.googlecode.com/>

      The goal of this project is to produce an open source extension to
      Firefox that helps with usability problems and addresses several
      security vulnerabilities around OpenID. Ideally this is the start of
      making sense of what identity in the browser would look like. In the
      future, this could be the basis for integrated support in all modern
      browsers if the project goes well.

      A couple of key points:

      * This is still very rough and not meant for general users yet

      * The work may lead to extensions to the OpenID protocol that may take
      shape in the form of specifications - more information can be found on
      the project page wiki:

      http://code.google.com/p/idib/w/list <http://code.google.com/p/idib/w/list>

      * The discussion about IDIB is happening on the mailing list here:

      http://groups.google.com/group/idib <http://groups.google.com/group/idib>

      Hope to see you there!

      - Scott