Re: [higgins-dev] build: why so many files?

I agree with you that it would be better to have all required targets
in the single, one-step generated build.xml file but...

Initially buildaux.xml was the only file generated by higgins2ant -
the idea was to reuse build.xml generated by eclipse2ant. However when
we started to implement build scripts used in the current nightly
build process it turned out that we have to change generator for
build.xml as well. It was much faster to modify existing generator
(from eclipse2ant project) then to implement a new one to generate all
required targets in single build.xml file.

With regards to dependencies.xml...

On #2.1 In general it is impossible to generate that file during nightly build
process because to generate that file higgins2ant needs complete
workspace with all the dependencies opened in the Eclipse IDE.

Moreover, I wouldn't be so sure that it is not needed on for
developers to build on their machines if to think about people who
want to build (especially from command line) some higgins project but
don't know all dependencies.

What we are trying to do right now is to develop some configure script
which could reuse all we have for nightly builds to get all the
dependencies of the project. This will allow anybody download single
project, run that script and get all the dependencies required to
build this project.

On #2.2 I agree with you that it should be rather side-effect of
generating build.xml.

With regards to pluginBuilder.xml it is not a generated file and I'd
agree that it should rather live in some common place but right now I
see two little problems with that:

1. It was designed to run from the project folder
2. In order to build plugin from command line (not at the nightly
builds) it should accessible somehow from build.xml.

Valery