RE: [higgins-dev] Notes from today's Higgins Developers Call

Ooops.  (The joys of running a spell checker when you are sleep deprived.)

-----Original Message-----
From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anthony Nadalin
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:17 PM
To: Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions
Cc: 'Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions'; higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] Notes from today's Higgins Developers Call

>*7-9 dip

7-9 IdP

Inactive hide details for "Mary Ruddy" <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"Mary Ruddy" <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Mary Ruddy" <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/17/2007 03:37 PM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions'" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[higgins-dev] Notes from today's Higgins Developers Call

Attendees
=========
Alex Amies - IBM
*Paula Austel - IBM
Jeff Broberg CA
Andy Hodgkinson - Novell
*Duane Buss - Novell
*Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM
*Brian Carrol - Serena
*Tom Doman - Novell
*Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine
*David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM
*Mike McIntosh - IBM
*Tony Nadalin - IBM
Nataraj Nagaratnam - IBM
Dale Olds - Novell
*Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle
*Mary Ruddy - Parity/SocialPhysics
*Markus Sabedello
*Jim Sermersheim - Novell
*George Sanchez - Serena
*Daniel Sanders
Abhi Schelat - IBM

--
* Present

Regrets
=======
Numerous people still in transit back from IIW

Agenda
------
1) Successful IIW in Mountain View this week
** OSIS interop event and new capabilities
** HBX and identity selector rationalization
** OSP
2) Configuration component
3) Discovery component
4) IdAS Update

1. Successful IIW in Mountain View this week.
Mary: We had a successful IIW in Mountain View this week. Many thanks to
the people who worked on making new versions of the software/ hosted
services available for the show.  There were numerous Higgins sessions
including speed geeking demonstrations on day 1 and a successful OSIS
interop event.

Mary: In preparation for interop event being held at Catalyst next
month, OSIS held a working interop event at the show.  Multiple Higgins
components were represented:
Tony:  We used the Eclipse Higgins STS (that is now hosted at Eclipse)
with a little IDP wrapper.  Also demonstrated the latest version of the
Java HBX.  Previously there had been separate local and remote version.
Now these have been merged.
Mary: Also the "native" version of the Higgins Identity selector was
shown (not yet checked in.)
Tony: The interop featured:
*5 identity selectors (two Higgins versions)
*7-9 dip
*11 RP's
Tables will be available soon, pretty good coverage.
There were a few problems.  Mike fixed a few bugs. Burton is pretty
happy.
Mary: There are a number of action items from the demonstrations. A lot
of good work was done in preparation for the event, but there is much
clean-up work to be done. Need to determine what can be done before the
Burton Interop Event in June, and what will be done afterwards.
Candidate items include
*Fix a bunch of bugs
*UI - make consistent between Java and Native identity selectors
*Determine consistent names for these, perhaps Higgins TBD A/TBD B
Identity Selectors
Tony: Also need to address architecture issues. Consistency of
functionality between the two offerings.  Need to change the
architecture depending on resources
Tony: Need to have two working calls next week to work through these
issues:
Mary: Once everyone is back from IIW we can schedule these.
??? Are the UI issues a product of language differences? Need to have
same interfaces and presentation.
Tony: I'm all for multiple language implementation sets.  Right now it
looks like you need to have both versions, as they appear to have
different functionality.
Mary: Also need to work on the packaging. "HBX" needs to be end user
installable.

Mary: Microsoft posted their updated Open Specification Promise during
IIW. There are additional updated specifications now available.  It did
not cover the UI.
Tony: There are things that we need that are still not covered.  He will
review in detail.

2. Configuration Component
Greg:  Trying to start discussion on the list and get requirements. Have
a start on that. Needs to be used for initialization and dynamic
configuration. Settings and persistence not settled yet.
Mike: Has checked in some stuff this morning.
Greg: Need to know what we want to build before we build it. How
components related to each other and set of configuration methods.
Mike: All of the different service elements of STS implement
configurable components.
Greg: He envisioned the iconfig object.  One difference is in the map.
He was thinking of a separate step to make it persistent.
David: He made some comments: There need to be handlers to read/write
from persistent store.
Mike: Type info is more for documentation...

3. Discovery
Jim: Discovery - Does Markus have a list of questions o gather
requirements?
Markus: No new questions.  He put all he knows in a document.
Jim: So what we all need to do is review the document.  Does it include
a proposal for moving forward?
Markus:  Need to get the big picture about Higgins
Jim: The best thing would be to look at the architecture wiki page.and
diagram.  See which components have a pattern of interfaces and
providers of interfaces - these need to be discoverable.  Notion of a
provider and implementations that need that provider interface
Mary: May sometimes want something to be discoverable and sometimes not
Jim: Ask the component owners.  What are the characteristics they need
with respect to discover.  Markus's document was dated May 7.  Paul sent
some corrections to the list.  People should start from Paul's version.

4. Discovery
Jim: Most of update changes are done.  He sent out an email on one
dangling change - on context relationships.  He still needs to put that
in. He is sure that there are CP's that haven't moved to the latest
version.
Jim: Will let us know when I'm done, and then do a role call on where
all the other CP's are.  Hasn't seen anything from Jena.  JNDI is pretty
close, it is compiling. JSpolicy doesn't compile - Duane working on it.
OpenID and XMIfile are brought up to standard. All the dependent
projects working now too.
Jim: Then will work on refactoring packages. This is a topic for another
phone call as we are out of time. The issue is that if Jim is making a
big change to IdAS, such as Update, it would take him a long time to go
through all of his dependencies and fix them. One model is that in this
case, Jim makes all the changes. But he may not have the expertise in
all the packages, and it could take him a very long time. If he just
checks in his changes, then everything is broken. The other suggestion
is to make packages dependent on a stable jar file. This is treating
other Higgins projects like external 3rd party projects. Another
approach is clever use of CVS tags and branches.
Mary: As we move towards V1.0, and milestone 0.9 that focuses on
packaging, we need to start practicing stable build practices.
Jim: We may need someone to wear a project management hat to make sure
the right things happen with respect to refactorings.

Action items
*All: Review Paul's updated version of Markus' discovery draft and
provide comments
*Mary: Schedule 2 calls for the week of May 21 to discuss next steps for
HBX and the native identity selector, especially what can be done before
Catalyst.  Once people are back from Catalyst, they should let the list
know when they are available for these working calls.  If there are
additional items that need to be addressed, let me know.
*Tony: Itemize needed items not covered by the latest OSP
*All Component owners review their components with respect to discovery
needs.
*Topic for another call, general process for refactoring packages