RE: [higgins-dev] Question about Higgins

Mike,

Here is the thread so far (3 msgs):

Ed,

  From what I been able to dig out, Higgins project is not planning to
provide UI for managing or matching identities and it is more focused on
managing identities for the current user.

  For use cases I mentioned we need to manage or collect identities of other
users. So, managing passwords is not needed for such purpose, but the key
feature is to link ids of some arbitrary user in different systems. I think
task is quite trivial. Practically map of maps kind of structure that can be
maintained locally, or trough some kind of data provider (maybe even
Higgins). The only issue is how to standardize such API and UI that can be
used by all consumers.

  regards,
  Eugene

Ed Merks wrote:

    Eugene,

    Yes, managing all these identities is a big pain!   At IBM we have
multiple such things too and tomorrow a bunch of my passwords expire, which
happens every three months.  So it's time to start changing passwords again.
And of course different systems have different password rules, so it's hard
to get one password that works for all the systems.  And that means you have
to write them down, which kind of defeats their security, and undermines the
very reason for making them expire so often and for defining rules to
restrict your choice of password.  It's such a joy to be told that a
password no one would ever guess is nevertheless trivial by some
undocumented algorithm. Are you aware of the Higgins Trust Framework
project?

        http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/

    I don't know much about it, but I think it's trying to address exactly
this type of problem and I suppose it could be used by other projects at
some point in the future.

------------------------------------
    Eugene Kuleshov wrote:

        Hi,

         I am not sure how to address this issue and looking for advice.

         In development process we usually have several identities for each
developer and each identity is managed in its own system, such as version
control systems (CVS, SVN, etc), issue tracking systems (Bugzilla, JIRA,
etc), instant messaging systems (icq, xmpp, gtalk, yahoo, skype, etc) and
regular email. In IDEs each of those those identities is managed by its own
plugin. For example in Eclipse, CVS and SVN identities are known by team
version control providers, issue tracking systems are managed by Mylar or
specialized plugins, and instant messaging identities are managed by ECF.

         As a result, we don't really have links between those identities.
For example, we can't open an entry in the CVS History, Synchronize view or
CVS annotation (aka "blame" thing) in the editor and send an instant message
to the user who committed that change (say when he did something outstanding
or if he did something terrifying) or see if person who made comment to the
bug report is online.

         We need some kind of address book or roster UI and correspond
backend that would allow to manage multiple user identities and would allow
3rd party components to interact with those identities. The closest piece
Eclipse have right now is the Roster view from ECF, but it still quite far
from supporting such feature and it is unclear if it even in scope of the
ECF project.

         IBM Jazz project choose different approach to this issue. since
they built their own issue tracker, version control system and even instant
messaging system they got unified identity across all those systems.
Unfortunately in the real world we have to deal with number of existing
legacy systems.

         Does anyone have thoughts on this and what is the best way to
address this need?

         regards,
         Eugene

        PS: you can also comment to my blog post at
http://jroller.com/page/eu?entry=multiple_identies