RE: [higgins-dev] Question about Higgins

And here's what I posted to that newsgroup:

Eugene,

While it's true that Higgins has a focus on user-centric identity, it
nevertheless can support the functionality that you require. Doing so
leverages one of the most powerful capabilities in Higgins, namely, the
ability to link/correlate Digital Subjects (what you call "identities")
across Contexts (your heterogeneous collection of systems).

In Higgins-speak what you need to do is create one Higgins Context that
we'll call here the "meta" Context and then instantiate N other Contexts
each representing one of the systems you mention (CVS, Bugzilla, Skype,
etc.). [In an ideal world Higgins Context Provider plug-ins would already
exist for all of these other Contexts, though that is far from the case.] In
each Context, one physical person (called an Entity in Higgins) is
represented as a Digital Subject--a set of attributes one of which is a
local identifier (e.g. eugene@xxxxxxxxx, or 234-265-99, etc.) unique to the
containing Context. Some external system that knows all of the correlations
(e.g. paul@xxxxxxxxx is the same as pault-in-some-Bugzilla) will need to
populate the "meta" Context with one Digital Subject for each Entity being
modeled, and for each Entity add a set of N "pointer" attributes pointing to
the N Digital Subjects that represent this same person in the N other
Contexts.

Glossing over security issues and the systems configuration challenge (e.g.
making sure that all required Context Provider plugs-ins exist and are
installed locally) the only "backend service" API you'd need would be the
IdAS API.

We've done enough work with ECF to believe that some of these N "other"
Contexts could be implemented by thin shims over ECF containers and rosters,
though all the ECF-integration code is out of date at the moment.

As for deployment architectures, at present IdAS (and the required Context
Provider plug-ins) can run all locally in an embedded mode.

As for status, Higgins is at M0.7 and all if its APIs still evolving. Also
none of the Context Providers you require (e.g. CVS, SVN, gtalk, yahaoo,
skype, Bugzilla, JIRA) currently exist. The good news is that most of the
communications-oriented providers required could be handled in one fell
swoop with an up-to-date Higgins Context Provider for ECF.

Hope that helps,

-Paul