RE: [higgins-dev] Question about Higgins

I think this thread is a good openning for a topic I'd like us to start to
look into...

We have a paradigm for managing cards representing our own identities. We
need to extend that to allow us to provide cards representing our own
identity to another party to be used in a specific context. For instance,
I'd like to be able to provide a card/identifier to someone that allows
them to send me an instant message/email.
As an extension of that, I'd like to have the property that they could not
forward this card to someone else and have it work.

Thanks,
Mike

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/20/2007 06:14:20 PM:

> Mike,
>
> Here is the thread so far (3 msgs):
>
> Ed,
>
>   From what I been able to dig out, Higgins project is not planning to
> provide UI for managing or matching identities and it is more focused on
> managing identities for the current user.
>
>   For use cases I mentioned we need to manage or collect identities of
other
> users. So, managing passwords is not needed for such purpose, but the
key
> feature is to link ids of some arbitrary user in different systems. I
think
> task is quite trivial. Practically map of maps kind of structure that
can be
> maintained locally, or trough some kind of data provider (maybe even
> Higgins). The only issue is how to standardize such API and UI that can
be
> used by all consumers.
>
>   regards,
>   Eugene

> Ed Merks wrote:
>
>     Eugene,
>
>     Yes, managing all these identities is a big pain!   At IBM we have
> multiple such things too and tomorrow a bunch of my passwords expire,
which
> happens every three months.  So it's time to start changing passwords
again.
> And of course different systems have different password rules, so it's
hard
> to get one password that works for all the systems.  And that means you
have
> to write them down, which kind of defeats their security, and undermines
the
> very reason for making them expire so often and for defining rules to
> restrict your choice of password.  It's such a joy to be told that a
> password no one would ever guess is nevertheless trivial by some
> undocumented algorithm. Are you aware of the Higgins Trust Framework
> project?
>
>         http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/
>
>     I don't know much about it, but I think it's trying to address
exactly
> this type of problem and I suppose it could be used by other projects at
> some point in the future.
>
> ------------------------------------
>     Eugene Kuleshov wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>          I am not sure how to address this issue and looking for advice.
>
>          In development process we usually have several identities for
each
> developer and each identity is managed in its own system, such as
version
> control systems (CVS, SVN, etc), issue tracking systems (Bugzilla, JIRA,
> etc), instant messaging systems (icq, xmpp, gtalk, yahoo, skype, etc)
and
> regular email. In IDEs each of those those identities is managed by its
own
> plugin. For example in Eclipse, CVS and SVN identities are known by team
> version control providers, issue tracking systems are managed by Mylar
or
> specialized plugins, and instant messaging identities are managed by
ECF.