[higgins-dev] Higgins Ontology (0.5.0) Review [Part 1]: Tom

Paul,

Some questions from my preliminary review.

1. Aren't the annotation properties you defined already predefined in
OWL?  If not, what is the difference between the ones you defined and
the predefined ones?

2. In trying to understand any given definition, I think I'm running
into "canonical form" matters (as Jim mentioned) but I wanted to make
sure I'm not misunderstanding something syntactical.  For example, is
there any difference between:
a.
<owl:onProperty>
   <rdf:Description rdf:about="#uniqueIdentifier"/>
</owl:onProperty>

and

b.
<owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#uniqueIdentifier"/>
?

3. For that matter ... is there any difference between:
a.
<rdf:Description>
   <owl:onProperty>
      <rdf:Description rdf:about="#uniqueIdentifier"/>
   </owl:onProperty>
   <rdf:type>
      <rdf:Description
rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Restriction"/>
   </rdf:type>
   <owl:cardinality
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#nonNegativeInteger";>1</owl:cardinality>
</rdf:Description>

and

b.
<owl:Restriction>
   <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#uniqueIdentifier"/>
   <owl:cardinality
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#nonNegativeInteger";>1</owl:cardinality>
</owl:Restriction>
?

4. It looks like we could do this kind of thing throughout the entire
ontology.  I see some classes and other things later that I THINK we
could make shorter and sweeter but I wanna focus on the content and
structure of the ontology for this review.  If I'm on the right track
here, I'd be happy to condense all these and send it back.  I think it'd
make it a lot easier to parse and understand with the eye that way.

5. For instances where minCardinality is 1 and maxCardinality is also
1, could we not simply state cardinality is 1?

6. As we subclass DigitalSubject, will we be able to restrict the kinds
of attribute statements that are legal on those classes?  For example, a
People class that is restricted to PeopleAttributeStatements?

7. Betraying my lack of experience here ... #contextURI is defined to
have cardinality restrictions that don't reference any specific class.
Does this mean it applies to all domains?  I'm confused because I see
classes that specifically restrict the cardinality of #contextURI with
exactly the same values.

I'm gonna send this out and see what other questions I come up with and
make it a Part 2 if needed.

Thanks,
Tom

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 8/29/2006 8:46 PM >>>
An updated version (0.5.0) of the Higgins ontology is now available
here:
http://spwiki.editme.com/HigginsOntology for review. As this page
describes
it has not yet been published to the URL, but is only attached to the
page.
The changes from 0.4.4 are described near the top of the page.

-Paul

http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/ontologies/2006/higgins.owl