Re: [higgins-dev] [IdAS] Context open/close semantics

I'm good with pretty much all of what's below.  Is everyone good with
the exceptions mentioned?  I'm ready to implement to these guidelines if
someone will throw the code out there (no pun intended).

One question, I don't see how the close operation can return the
Context to the "new" state if, as Jim suggested, we might maintain an
open connection under the CP covers.

Thanks,
Tom

>>> Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> 8/10/2006 12:23 PM >>>
Based on recent email and phone discussions, here's take two.  I
believe
the only unresolved issue is the need for retrieving the identity from

an open Context.

--------------------------

(1) An open Context represents a binding between a client (specified by

the identity in the open() call) and the data published by the Context.

A successful open operation implies that the identity is authenticated

and that the client will be allowed to access Context data, subject to

the Context's access control policy.  (OPEN ISSUE: There is no API for

determining the identity of the client that opened a Context.)

(2) The following Context methods require a Context to be open:
getSubject, getSubjects, createSubject, removeSubject,
verifySubjectAttributes, updateSubject, exportData, importData.  Calls

to these methods on a non-open Context will result in a
ContextNotOpenException.

(3) The close operation returns the Context instance to an unopened
state, as if the Context were newly-created.

(4) Performing an open on an open Context results in a
ContextOpenException.    (NOTE: This is true even if the Context is
re-opened with the same identity.  There is no requirement to save the

passed-in identity as is, so the Context may not be able to determine
whether the new identity and the bound identity is equivalent.)