[higgins-dev] recursion into subcontexts (was IDAS method list)

I noticed the recursive bool in some of the proposed methods in Greg's list. I have some questions about that:

1) Is the notion of parent/child context 'special' enough to warrant this? I imagine people have all sorts of Context relationships in mind, and perhaps they even have multiple hierarchies they'd like to view them in. For example; within a country's government, one way of hierarchically organizing contexts might be in an organizational manner, while an alternate view would be in a geographical manner. What we noticed happening in LDAP/X.500 was that by only allowing a single hierarchy, enough problems arose that eventually caused most deployments to flatten their hierarchies and use other forms of relationships. If we are going to support the notion of hierarchy, we should seriously consider making it selectable (i.e. recurse = true using the xyz hierarchy)

2) Many of these also take a uniqueID. The wiki indicates that these ID's are contextually unique, thus it only makes sense that they would exist in a single context. If one knows the contextually unique ID would one know the Context for which it's unique, or is the Context not derivable from the CUID?

3) The getSubjects method which takes a filter may prove to be problematic when recursively searching in the case where schemas differ among (sub)contexts. This is not true if attribute identifiers are globaly unique (which IMO would be a good thing).

Jim

>>> Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> 7/5/06 10:48 AM >>>

Hi, folks.  I'm new to the list -- working with IBM on a temporary basis.

Attached is a document that proposes a list of interfaces and methods
for IDAS.  This is built upon (and includes) the two proposed data
models that were previously posted to the list.

There are some open questions, of course.  We can use this as a starting
point for discussion at this week's meeting in Boston.

Back to the top