Re: [gmt-dev] evolving GMT in a fully open process that allows others to join the effort

> Never used FUUT-je, but I surely know that the most important
> thing missing from architectureware is a quick start, step by step
> tutorial. Maybe I find the time someday...
>
> > The major problem we face is that using open-source tools is hard
because
> > the installation procedures may not be very straightforward and the
> > documentation may be lacking. To convince me to start on a tool, it must
> > promise me considerable rewards. Therefore I do use Eclipse, Java,
Apache,
> > Xerces, PHP, MySQL and a few others. Many things I just download, and if
> > do not understand what it is about in 5 minutes, I will forget about it.
> > think we have a chicken-and-egg problem here.
>
> Sure, I use the very same approach. Maybe I'll find the time...!

In the GMT project - and the same would apply to the architectureware
project - we therefore need to put appropriate emphasis on the quality of
the installation process, available documentation, and easy to follow
examples that enable users to learn to use the tools as intended.

With respect to "getting going in 5 minutes" Fuutje is actually quite good,
however it's a different story when it comes to implementing major changes
to the tool model, i.e. when you want to work with a completely different
meta model. This area needs significant work.

Precisely because we all have day jobs, the only way to increase speed of
development is by providing a [documented] environment that allows further
developers to easily pick up open work items. In my experience the
production of essential documentation is the only way to speed up and to
scale up development. Many apparent chicken-and-egg problems are
self-inflicted and avoidable.

Jorn

Jorn Bettin
jorn.bettin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.softmetaware.com
Tel  +64 9 372 3073 | Mobile +64 27 448 3507 | Fax +64 9 372 3534

Back to the top