Re: [gmt-dev] evolving GMT in a fully open process that allows others to join the effort

> In the GMT project - and the same would apply to the architectureware
> project - we therefore need to put appropriate emphasis on the quality of
> the installation process, available documentation, and easy to follow
> examples that enable users to learn to use the tools as intended.

for architectureware, I have a download-unzip-run capable
"blueprint" that works. It uses ant, and the generator. I just
did not yet make it generally available.

> With respect to "getting going in 5 minutes" Fuutje is actually quite
good,
> however it's a different story when it comes to implementing major changes
> to the tool model, i.e. when you want to work with a completely different
> meta model. This area needs significant work.

... and this is typically the main usage scenario, I guess.

> Precisely because we all have day jobs, the only way to increase speed of
> development is by providing a [documented] environment that allows further
> developers to easily pick up open work items. In my experience the
> production of essential documentation is the only way to speed up and to
> scale up development. Many apparent chicken-and-egg problems are
> self-inflicted and avoidable.

Certainly true. However, I currently write so much :-), that,
when doing open source contributions, I want to actually
code. This will change sometime, maybe :-)

Markus

Markus Völter
mailto:voelter@xxxxxxx

voelter - ingenieurbüro für softwaretechnologie
Ziegelaecker 11, 89520 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 (0) 73 21 / 97 33 44

http://www.voelter.de