Re: [geclipse-dev] How to disable "Yoxos Notifications" window?

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for the tips!

At the moment, I have the problem that I cannot even see the Eclipse Workbench. I cannot make that annoying empty dialog go away and without it going away Eclipse doesn't seem to want to proceed further. It definitely seems proxy-related which actually reminds me of a similar problem with a yoxos bundle I downloaded a year or so ago. It appears that the Yoxos stuff tries to contact its mother-ship as soon as Eclipse is started, even the very first time (with a new workspace) when no proxy info has yet been provided. (Other plugins at least seem to wait until the Workbench is loaded and visible before trying to do the same.)

I've untarred the yoxos bundle into my home directory as myself (not as root) and the relevant permissions are correct. I do start Eclipse from the commandline ("./eclipse"). Any cmdline options you would recommend I try?

Regards,
Ash

Ariel Garcia wrote:
Hi Ash,

Markus is away this week.

Hey, it's just your special environment that makes it so hard to get
something running. But talking of this, there are others out there who
are sitting behind a proxy (Reading?). Did you see the same problems
as Ariel? I mean, was it working for you without problems or did you
give up after a while?

i finally managed to get everything working as expected (but NOT as WHISHED*) except Subversive, which is still poping up the password dialog every single time it needs to interact with the repo!!! (so, 2 times each plugin-update etc :-((

* Whished was that i unpack the package as root and then i can run it as normal user... no way :-((( even with plain eclipse, no yoxos.

shows some activity. About 50% of the way through, the splash screen
disappears and I get presented with a small dialog box with the title
'Eclipse' and no content - no text, button or suchlike. Clicking the 'X'
Any suggestions?

i didn't hit that problem, as far as i remember, but i can tell you what i found to be problems:

- the yoxos perspective was not able to use the proxy settings if Eclipse starts in that perspective. This means: set your proxy, go to the PDE or Resources perspective, restart, switch to yoxos. This issue should apparently have been fixed in the last yoxos update, i was told.

- Unpack the eclipse/yoxos tarball as normal user! If eclipse is not able to write in $ECLIPSE/configuration etc you will only have the basic features active (Platform/RCP/Help)

- I couldn't get yoxos to automatically offer me to perform the Workspace provisioning. I had to go to Help/WS provisioning (or similar) then the profiles view, search our profile, select for installation, click on start installation -> you are told to restart -> then provisioning starts.

- even if i have enough memory i always have to fine tune the memory parameters in eclipse/eclipse.ini .... increasing them a bit more than a value also causes problems, it is quite nit-picking. I can send you my settings if you wish.

- BTW, make sure you use a new empty workspace.

- you can start eclipse from the command line if you didn't do that already, can help to see if there are exceptions etc.

Hope it helps, cheers, Ariel

Ashish
------------------------------
****************
Ashish Thandavan
ACET Centre, School of Systems Engineering,
Philip Lyle Building (5th Floor),
P.O. Box 68,
University of Reading
Whiteknights Campus,