Re: [geclipse-dev] Gria Information Gathered

Hi Nick, hi all

What you find out is useful and can be used, but anyhow, that are just
the services of "local" GRIA services. So the user can find the data and
the application services if he/she knows the computer where the services
are running. But a Grid should consist of many distributed site with
services.

So from my point it would be nice anyhow to have a list of the
distributed services called a registry? Such a service registry can just
be viewed as a "bookmark" to the services as the bookmarks in browsers.

My questions:
How do you plan to sort the distributed services in the InfoView?
How do you get the "complete" list of available services at different
locations?

In my opinion, the statement "we do not need a registry service" is a
little bit to strong!

Cheers
Harald

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 11:14 +0200, Nick Tsioutsias wrote:
> Hello everyone. I have been looking in how to get information about
> the GRIA services and data and I have managed to get the following:
>
> I got all the services that are provided by our example GRIA server in
> iwr-geclipse.fzk.de. I can get the information in the following xml
> format:

> <application xmlns="">
>
> <name>http://it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/grid/imagemagick/swirl</name>
>     <version>1.0.0</version>
>     <description>Application to swirl an image</description>
>     <application-inputType>
>         <name>source-image</name>
>         <type>jpg</type>
>         <description>image file of any type</description>
>     </application-inputType>
>     <application-outputType>
>         <name>swirled-image</name>
>         <type>jpg</type>
>         <description>swirled image of the same type as input
> type</description>
>     </application-outputType>
> </application>

> As you can see I also get the inputs and the outputs of the job.
>
> I also managed to get the data staggers that I had created with the
> GRIA client in xml format like:

> <ns4:title
> xmlns:ns4="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";>MyData</ns4:title>
> <ns5:serviceresourcetype
> xmlns:ns5="http://it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/2005/grid";>http://www.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/grid/resource/data</ns5:serviceresourcetype>
> <ns6:status
> xmlns:ns6="http://it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/2005/grid";>full</ns6:status>

> As you can see I get the title of the data stagger and whether it is
> full or empty. I think this information is enough for the infosystem
> to provide. If you agree with me in this, then this means that we will
> not need the registry service that Ariel tries so hard to install :)
>
> Nikos.
Dr. Harald Kornmayer
Principal Researcher
NEC Laboratories Europe, IT Research Division
NEC Europe Ltd.
Rathausallee 10, D-53757 St. Augustin, Germany
Phone:       +49 / 2241-92 52 57
Fax:         +49 / 2241-92 52 99
E-mail:      harald.kornmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx

NEC Europe Ltd., Registered Office: NEC House,
1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL,
Registered in England 2832014