Re: [equinox-dev] Is there a way to capture BundleExceptions?

OK, I found a way but it's bizarre....
I'm going to post the solution here for future reference, also if you know if a better, simpler way, please let me know.

What happens is that Equinox will not create BundleException instances when bundles cannot be resolved. Instead, it just logs it to the BaseAdaptor's FrameworkLog and move on. I cannot get access to what's coming into the BaseAdaptor's framework log, so I had to get it some other way. The solution is was follows:

1 - Created an AdaptorHook that keeps a reference to the BaseAdaptor instance passed to it from the initialize method.

2 - This adaptor hook register a service (which I called IBundleResolutionErrorService) using the system bundle context. This service is just to expose the adaptor hook's functionality to other bundles. This service has a single method which is getBundleResolutionErrors, which returns a list of BundleResolutionError generated for each unresolved bundle. This is a simple class that encapsulates the VersionConstraints or ResolverError instances which describe why the bundle was not resolved.

3 - Craeate the detectAllUnresolvedBundles method inside your adaptor hook to find all unresolved bundles (see below for the method's code). The method I used is a modified version of the equinox's own way of detecting unresolved bundles.

4 - Invoke the adaptor hook's detectAllUnresolvedBundles method from the service's getBundleResolutionErrors method and return the result.

5 - Then create another bundle (I'll just call it X), non-fragment, which obtains a reference to the IBundleResolutionErrorService service. This bundle listens for an event that is raised by my application class (the class implementing IApplication) so it knows when the startup has finished. At this point it knows that the framework has finished starting up and all bundle resolution errors can be access by invoking the getBundleResolutionErrors method from the service IBundleResolutionErrorService.

6 - The last step is to raise an event from your application class from within it's start method bundle X can query for bundle resolution errors.

Here is the method that does the trick, and is placed inside the adaptor hook (as I said before this method is heavily based on how Equinox detects unresolved bundles):

    Collection<BundleResolutionError> getAllBundleResolutionErrors() {
        Bundle[] bundles = systemContext.getBundles();
        State state = baseAdaptor.getState();
        StateHelper stateHelper = baseAdaptor.getPlatformAdmin().getStateHelper();

        VersionConstraint[] leafConstraints = stateHelper.getUnsatisfiedLeaves(state.getBundles());
        // hash the missing leaf constraints by the declaring bundles
        Map<BundleDescription, BundleResolutionError> missing = new HashMap<BundleDescription, BundleResolutionError>();
        for (int i = 0; i < leafConstraints.length; i++) {
            // only include non-optional and non-dynamic constraint leafs
            if (leafConstraints[i] instanceof BundleSpecification && ((BundleSpecification) leafConstraints[i]).isOptional())
                continue;
            if (leafConstraints[i] instanceof ImportPackageSpecification) {
                if (ImportPackageSpecification.RESOLUTION_OPTIONAL.equals(((ImportPackageSpecification) leafConstraints[i]).getDirective(Constants.RESOLUTION_DIRECTIVE)))
                    continue;
                if (ImportPackageSpecification.RESOLUTION_DYNAMIC.equals(((ImportPackageSpecification) leafConstraints[i]).getDirective(Constants.RESOLUTION_DIRECTIVE)))
                    continue;
            }
            BundleDescription bundle = leafConstraints[i].getBundle();
            BundleResolutionError resolutionError = (BundleResolutionError)missing.get(bundle);

            if (resolutionError == null) {
                resolutionError = new BundleResolutionError(bundle);
                resolutionError.setRootError(true);
                missing.put(bundle, resolutionError);
            }
            resolutionError.getUnsatisfiedContraints().add(leafConstraints[i]);
        }

        // There may be some bundles unresolved for other reasons, causing the system to be unresolved
        for (int i = 0; i < bundles.length; i++) {
            if (bundles[i].getState() == Bundle.INSTALLED) {
                BundleDescription description = state.getBundle(bundles[i].getBundleId());

                // for some reason, the state does not know about that bundle
                if (description == null)
                    continue;

                BundleResolutionError resolutionError = missing.get(description);
                if (resolutionError == null) {
                    resolutionError = new BundleResolutionError(description);
                    missing.put(description, resolutionError);
                }

                VersionConstraint[] unsatisfied = stateHelper.getUnsatisfiedConstraints(description);
                if (unsatisfied.length > 0) {
                    // the bundle wasn't resolved due to some of its constraints were unsatisfiable
                    for (int j = 0; j < unsatisfied.length; j++) {
                        resolutionError.getUnsatisfiedContraints().add(unsatisfied[j]);
                    }

                } else {
                    ResolverError[] resolverErrors = state.getResolverErrors(description);
                    for (int j = 0; j < resolverErrors.length; j++)
                        resolutionError.getResolverErrors().add(resolverErrors[j]);

                }
            }
        }
        return missing.values();
    }

The BundleResolutionError class is simple:

public class BundleResolutionError {
    // root resolution errors are those that cause other errors (non root).
    // fixing root errors will cause non-root errors to get fixed as well.
    private boolean isRootError = false;
    private final BundleDescription bundleDescription;
    private Set<VersionConstraint> unsatisfiedContraints = new HashSet<VersionConstraint>();
    private Set<ResolverError> resolverErrors = new HashSet<ResolverError>();

     /* .... getters and setters .... */

}

I hope this is useful to someone else as it took me a almost an hour to get all working (after I figured how to do it).

Thank you!
Eduardo Born