Re: [equinox-dev] DS activation and error logging

Michael Furtak wrote:
<<
This behavior is not against the DS spec. In fact it is not described what shall be done in such cases. I think the current behavior is more appropriate than blacklisting the component and never activate it again. Perhaps there should be a limited number of tries for activation and/or timeout for each subsequent activation try. But this seems like a feature request. Ideally this should go also as a DS spec update. I will

post an issue to OSGi about that.

I agree that the DS spec is not overly expressive with regard to how
components that fail to instantiate should be treated. If the activate()
method throws an exception it simply says that, "the component
configuration is not activated."

How would you describe the current algorithm for activation retries? Is
it attempting to activate a failed component every time the service
space changes?

Yes. When a service is registered or modified, SCR scans for newly satisfied components and activates them. The unsuccessfully activated components in previous loops, if they are still satisfied, happen to be in this components list and will be processed for activation by SCR.

Stoyan

Back to the top