Re: [epp-dev] Moving a package to Java 11 as requirement

Let's do a thought experiment.   I've decided to use Java 11 in EMF and have decided to change the BREEs as such.  Is anyone else's opinion binding?  Maybe the Modeling PMC's opinion would be, but I'm the lead and clearly I agree with myself.   I don't think the Planning Council's opinion is binding is it?  I see no rule stating that I'm not allowed to use Java 11 for my project and my right to determine my project's course is very important to me.  In any case,  I'm on the Planning Council, though with spotty attendance, and I could argue that they have no jurisdiction.  I would also think that the Eclipse Packaging Project's opinion is not the least bit relevant to me personally nor to my project.  After all, I have no binding opinion there, and if an opinion isn't binding, it follows that it has no real weight and is of little value.   So in the end, from my project-centric view, everyone should consider themselves lucky to have EMF at all.

What problems would this cause?  Nothing serious technically.  Just change the required Java version for all products and your done.  Get over it already.

I suppose the Planning Council could decide that some old version EMF should be on the train instead, and the EPP can then just use that old version.  But then you'd all be on your own, without new releases nor bug fixes, ever.

Clearly it would be better if I were sensitive to the community's opinions and needs rather than focused so much on what is and is not binding.

The issue of arguments for or against a higher BREE?

The arguments for are clear.  We get to use the latest and greatest Java language features and most current Java library classes and methods.  That's strongly compelling when considered in isolation of all other considerations.

The arguments against are less clear.

Consider the packages page:

  https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

The hint about needing Java 8 on bottom sidebar to the right would need to mention more specifically the need for Java 11 for some of the packages.  No big deal, but would need attention.

Users launching a newly unpackaged  package will be informed that they need Java 11 (or the installer will inform them, though if EMF changes the installer itself would need Java 11 not just Java 8).  No big deal; the user will hunt down the right thing from somewhere. A little worse is that users who install/update into an existing installation will find their installation broken if it was EMF involved, because nothing in the IDE will start without EMF starting, or will find parts of the installation not working for mysterious reasons.  I suppose also no big deal when it's some leaf component involved.

None of these consequences are ideal though and unfortunately we have no statistics to indicate how much more likely a user is to have Java 8 already installed versus Java 11 or higher already installed.  But clearly setting the bar higher will leave more of the community below the bar while leaving the bar where it is now is most definitely less disruptive.