Re: [epp-dev] how to use org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director to update eclipse installation

Hi Mickael,

On 01/08/17 15:14, Mickael Istria wrote:

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jelledejong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    So I tried to do this with org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director but it
    fails because the ids are already there.
    See: https://paste.debian.net/plainh/5dc593a8
    <https://paste.debian.net/plainh/5dc593a8>

To update an installation unit, you have to uninstall and install it in
the same p2 director command:
  ./eclipse -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.directory -repository
http://my/repo -uninstallIU to.update.ui -installIU to.update.iu

    How can I use org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director to update an installed
    eclipse installation so it is fully up to date and I can use the
    commandline with ansible to manage all my eclipse workstations nicely.

The part of code that checks the "available sites", compare the content
with the IDE installation to evaluate what can be updated is internal to
p2 and isn't included in the p2.director or any other command-line
application AFAIK. So you'll most likely have to implement this is your
own Eclipse (command-line) application if you need it. If you do so,
please consider contributing it back to p2 as ir's an interesting story.

Thank you! I used ...

    -uninstallIU org.eclipse.mylyn_feature.feature.group \
    -installIU org.eclipse.mylyn_feature.feature.group \
    -uninstallIU org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla_feature.feature.group \
    -installIU org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla_feature.feature.group \
    -uninstallIU org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext_feature.feature.group \
    -installIU org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext_feature.feature.group"

And it worked!

Also eclipse shows no more updates needed. To bad there is no auto update command.

Lets see how long this goes well in productions :)

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong

Back to the top