Re: [epp-dev] how to use org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director to update eclipse installation

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So I tried to do this with org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director but it fails because the ids are already there.
See: https://paste.debian.net/plainh/5dc593a8

To update an installation unit, you have to uninstall and install it in the same p2 director command:
  ./eclipse -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.directory -repository http://my/repo -uninstallIU to.update.ui -installIU to.update.iu

How can I use org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director to update an installed eclipse installation so it is fully up to date and I can use the commandline with ansible to manage all my eclipse workstations nicely.

The part of code that checks the "available sites", compare the content with the IDE installation to evaluate what can be updated is internal to p2 and isn't included in the p2.director or any other command-line application AFAIK. So you'll most likely have to implement this is your own Eclipse (command-line) application if you need it. If you do so, please consider contributing it back to p2 as ir's an interesting story.

HTH

Back to the top