Re: [epp-dev] Java package

How about "Eclipse Plug-in Developers" then. I could also be writing Maven Plug-ins, etc.

I'll raise a bug on the content. But I assume this becomes the merged package then since as an Eclipse Plug-in Developer, I'm a Java developer too.

And I agree with Mike, we really need to be focusing on making users happy. I'm not sure what we're trying to accomplish by having standard at the top. Which is also part of the confusion...

From: epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Konstantin Komissarchik [konstantin.komissarchik@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 11:46 AM
To: 'Eclipse Packaging Project'
Subject: Re: [epp-dev] Java package

What’s wrong with more discussion? Our packaging and distribution story still needs more work. From marketing perspective, offering a multitude of slightly-different options that users have trouble telling apart is well documented to cause confusion. The stats support this assertion. We can argue over the severity of the impact of this confusion, but it’s hard to argue that there is no confusion.

> As for the name ‘Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Developers’ can someone please explain what is an Eclipse developer?

I tend to agree that “Eclipse developer” term is ambiguous. It doesn’t only mean developers working on Eclipse. I think “Plugin Developer might be more clear in that respect.

- Konstantin