Re: [epp-dev] Re: (increasingly misnamed) Eclipse project announcment

Bjorn,

The EMO position is understandable and thus I was a bit confused when the project was announced as:  "This component will be extensible and open in that it will enable multiple websites to participate in the user selection of installable units (in sequential order, i.e., the selections from one site are forwarded to the next and so on until the user chooses to download and install the selection). The Eclipse Foundation intends to use the exemplary implementation at eclipse.org to create a better user and member experience for downloads."

Perhaps part of our (or at least my) confusion is with the discrepancy between what is being described and how the project was announced.  When I read the statement above, it led me to believe that EMO had already decided to roll out the technology as the way for Eclipse users to download software from Eclipse.org.  Also confusing is the discrepancy between the discussion above of multiple sites participating in the download process between what has subsequently been described.

At this point, it is much clearer what is being intended and much of this discussion seems like it could have been solved if the scope of the new component was simplified to represent what is intended?

Tim