Re: [epf-dev] Contributing to OpenUP via the Wiki

That's the very issue we are waiting for Eclipse legal clarification.

It seems from the 1st and 3rd bullets below we are talking about the same thing, but looking carefully, that may be the solution we are looking for.
Yes, any Bugzilla entry that is being discussed in the Wiki must have a link to the appropriate Wiki page. And that may be the type of "link" we need to make the Wiki content be accepted as coming through legal ways.
If a Bugzilla issue has a comment pointing to such a link to the Wiki page, as long as who wrote the comment is the author of the changed/added Wiki page, that should be the legal evidence of contribution. There would be no need for an attachment to Bugzilla - the link to the Wiki should be sufficient.

Regarding to the second bullet below, the same rules apply for content harvested from the Wiki, from a book or from personal experience. Committers (who commit the content to CVS) are responsible for making sure there aren't any copyright issues involved with content used.

Ricardo Balduino
Senior Software Engineer

IBM Rational Software (www.ibm.com/rational)
Eclipse Process Framework (www.eclipse.org/epf)

Jim Ruehlin/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/24/2007 01:37 PM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List        <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] Contributing to OpenUP via the Wiki

Some of us have been discussing the ramifications of using the wiki (in its current form) for content development. In order to conform to open source guidelines and legal stuff, here are some initial suggestions for leveraging that tool, at least until the wiki contribution has been accepted. These are just initial thoughts so comments are encouraged.

  • Contributions can’t be made to EPF by modifying the wiki. Contributors can post content and comments to the wiki, but it must be attached to a bugzilla entry before it’s considered officially contributed.
  • Since Committers can commit directly to CVS, they have the option of harvesting something directly from the wiki and placing it into CVS (via EPF Composer).
  • Any bugzilla entries that are being discussed in the wiki must have a link to the appropriate wiki page.

The wiki isn’t meant to replace any of our existing techniques for developing content (yet). Personally, I consider this an exciting experiment and I hope we can incorporate it into our standard way of doing business soon. Until then we need to make sure we follow the appropriate behavior for being open source, so all discussions need to be open to anyone who wishes to participate.

Thanks,
- Jim