Re: [epf-dev] EPF 1.0 is released!

Fundamentally we, as developers of the likes of a method (process & method content) like OpenUP, are "knowledge brokers" or "learning enablers".

In my humble opinion I see our mission to create process as one to help people:
  • learn
  • apply their learning
  • evaluate their results
  • learn some more

Benjamin S. Bloom in 1956 created a learning taxonomy and since then we have learned more about the way people learn.

To keep the importance of Bloom's work relative to today's theories, Anderson an Krathwohl (2001) revised Bloom's original taxonomy by combining both the cognitive process, and the knowledge dimension (see graphic below).

Anderson and Krathwohl's revised taxonomy incorporates both the kind of knowledge to be learned (knowledge dimension) and the process used to learn (cognitive process).

As we move forward with deciding how best to present the wealth of information/content contained in OpenUP I suggest we use a layered presentation or delivery approach as our guide for how we architect the information/elements in OpenUP.

I am not necessarily proposing we use the actual layer names but we might want to consider our presentation of the method (process & method content)  elements to be based on such a layered approach for ease of the targeted learner's consumption and comprehension.

Here are the layers relative to our product:.
  • Factual Knowledge - This layer presents the basic method (process & method content) elements that one must know to be acquainted with the method and be able to apply it.
  • Conceptual Knowledge - This layer presents the  interrelationships among the basic method (process & method content) elements within a larger structure that enable them to function together
  • Procedural Knowledge - This layer presents how to accomplish something specific and the criteria for using skills, techniques, and process
  • Meta-Cognitive Knowledge - This layer presents the importance of being aware of ones surroundings and the different characteristics of a project one is faced with in regard to their project's risk, size, politics, capabilities and organizational and personal preferences

Take care,
Russell

Blooms & Anderson an Krathwohl's
Taxonomy