Re: [epf-dev] Some comments on the OpenUP collaborative practices for tomorrow's telecon

On average people can hold three or four independent ideas in short-term memory at the time...so , to keep the number of practices to a minimum... I think that we should present the core concepts and practices in groups of 3, for example:

1. open -> 1.1 open up the process; 1.2 collaboration (trust, intent and skill); 1.3 share Ownership (Everyone owns the product and Take responsibility for his work). 2. focus -> 2.1 common vision; 2.2 balance stakeholders priorities ; 2.3 eliminate risks early; 3. evolve->3.1 evolve requirements (req. are never friezed but managed.. embrace change); 3.2 evolve and organize around architecture (patterns, components, services, etc) ; 3,3 demonstrate value iteratively *(a*nd measure progress)

like this we have 3+3*3 core concepts and practices and it will be easier to remember ... i also think that Open should be a core concept ...under this umbrella we can put a lot of principles..some are real principles others are just different ways to say the same thing

Ana

Steve Adolph wrote:

Hello everyone

Just some thoughts regarding our collaborative practices…..

In general I would like to keep the number of practices to a minimum, about 5 to 6 per area – that still leaves us with 20 to 24 practices. Ouch! You can just imagine the fun some of the agile fundamentalists will have with that!

Collaborate:

*_Previous Practices:_*

*_Practices Today_*

*_Comment_*

*_ _*

Share the Dream

- became an architectural practice as part of focus.

Tear Down the Walls

Create a high trust environment

- I’m not sure I like the name for this practice. The previous name “Tear down the walls” stated what action we must take to build trust.

Manage by Intent

Manage By Intent

Buddy Up

Buddy Up

Confession is Good for the Soul

I forget, where did we put retrospectives?

Continuous Learning

Continuous Learning

Organize Around the Architecture

I really like this as a collaborative practice. Because it highlights the importance and role of architecture and distinguishes OpenUP from other Agile processes.

Follow Standards

Important, but is it important enough to be a practice?

Manage Versions

Really hard to argue as a collaborative practice.

Everyone Owns the Product

Take responsibility for your work.

/Take Ownership/ may be a good name for a practice that covers both Everyone owns the product and Take responsibility for your work.

From the above may I suggest we have the following collaborative practices….

   1. Create a high trust environment
   2. Manage by intent
   3. Buddy up
   4. Continuous Learning
   5. Organize around the architecture
   6. Take ownership (?)
   7. Reflect (?) – was confession is good for the soul – could be
      absorbed into continuous learning – after all we learn from
      reflection right?

If I were to try and shorten this list, then this is what I would come up with for the collaborative principles:

   1. Create a high trust environment
   2. Manage by intent
   3. Buddy up
   4. Continuous Learning
   5. Organize around the architecture

A different variation of this may be:

   1. Create a high trust environment
   2. Manage by intent
   3. Skill
   4. Continuous Learning
   5. Organize around the architecture

In this list I have replaced buddy up with Skill. The issue of skill contributes to trust in that we have respect and trust in our colleague’s skills. We could cover buddy up in Create a High Trust Environment (in a high trust environment we do not leave our people behind).

Best regards,

Steve