RE: [epf-dev] Some comments on the OpenUP collaborative practices for tomorrow's telecon

One thing it seems like we haven’t explained is the advantages of collaboration over other management practices (directing, ordering, following prescriptions, etc). A lot of people are talking about collaboration, but it’s a lot of work. Why should people go through the effort?

Here’re some motivators to think about:

  • Collaboration focuses on solving a problem rather than “doing some work” or pursuing personal agendas
  • More potential solutions are investigated
  • Errors are revealed and addressed early instead of being hidden or ignored
  • Responsibility is shared so issues are addressed rather than waiting for someone else to solve them
  • Communication bottlenecks are reduced
  • Teams become self motivated and self regulating rather than needing to be pushed by management

We also want to communicate that collaborative practices are something you do rather than something you get after being collaborative. I’m concerned we may give the impression that a customer can say “OK, now that we’re collaborative we’ve got ourselves a high-trust environment!” What we want is someone saying “I want the advantages of a collaborative environment. I better start building a high-trust environment in my team.”

- Jim

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational

RUP Content Developer

Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Committer

email:   jruehlin@xxxxxxxxxx

phone:  760.505.3232

fax:      949.369.0720