RE: [epf-dev] Some comments on our "Focus" akaArchitecture practices....

Peter you are brilliant – great ideas.

From: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Eeles
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:51 AM
To: Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List
Cc: epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx; epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [epf-dev] Some comments on our "Focus" akaArchitecture practices....

Since patterns are only one type of reusable assets, why not "Avoid reinventing the wheel" rather than "leverage patterns"?

I think "Perspective" is overloaded (see book by Nick Rozanski and Eoin Woods). Why not "Focus on key elements"

Since both "component" and "service" are also overloaded, how about something like "architect with chunks", given the vernacular of some of the other items :)

Regards,

Pete

================================
Peter Eeles, MBCS CITP
Executive IT Architect,  Technical Staff Member
Rational Brand Architect for UK, Ireland, South Africa
Email: peter.eeles@xxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +44 (0)7796 331061
Mobex: 264305
=================================

The IBM Rational Edge Live! By Developers for Developers.
For more information on this and other events such as the Rational User Group visit:
www.ibm.com/uk/news/events/softwaretechnicalbriefings/

"Steve Adolph" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

25/05/2006 19:33

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[epf-dev] Some comments on our "Focus" aka Architecture        practices....

Hello Everyone

Just some thoughts on our “focus” practices….

Share the dream –

 I really, really like having this here, nicely links architecture and collaboration. It states our view that architecture is important as a collaborative mechanism.

Leverage Patterns

 Good

Architect with components and services

If I wanted to minimize the number of practices I may consider removing this one – I know it is core to RUP, but components and services have very specific meanings to a lot of people and we do not want to imply that OpenUP is only suitable for one architectural class of project.

Focus On Key Perspectives

Good

Kiss

We really need this one. This is our more sophisticated version of YAGNI.  I have been in too many shops where a focus on architecture has lead to bloated supposedly “future proof” architectures.  The Einstein quote really captures the intention behind this one.

Best regards,
epf-dev mailing list
epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx