[epf-dev] New Task name for "Create Architectural Proof of Concept"

Ahoy-hoy

In preparation for getting the BUP architecture discipline ship-shape for the freeze this week, I read through the SIG notes and noted the general dis-satisifaction with the name of the Task "Create Architecture Proof-of-Concept." From the notes it looks like the name was assigned at the time as a marker with the intention of changing it at some point.

I'd like to propose a name change for the structure freeze this week and I'd be glad to hear any views.

Current Situation
The Task "Create Architecture PoC" is part of the Activity "Determine Architecture Feasibility" during the Inception phase. (side note: I'm assuming we're keeping Activities as composite Tasks? They're still in BUP at the moment).
The Activity "Determine Architecture Feasibility" also includes the Task "Analyze the Architecture."

Proposed Change
The Activity "Determine Architectural Feasibility" should be renamed "Shape the Solution"
The Task "Create Architectural Proof of Concept" should be renamed "Determine Architectural Feasibility"

Justification
It seems to make more sense for one or more architectural PoC's to be produced by a feasibility study. The Activity that is currently called "Determine Architectural Feasibility" is (according to the description) more than that, as it includes the Task "Analyze the Architecture," the objective of which is to;

"Define [my emphasis] a candidate architecture for the system based on experience gained from similar systems or in similar problem domains. Define the architectural patterns, key mechanisms, and -- where applicable -- modeling conventions for the system"

The point here is that it says "define a candidate architecture," not "determine the feasibility of an architecture."

It just seems more natural to call the composite Activity "Shape the Solution" (with a tip of the hat to EssUP's "Shape Solution" and Xansa's "Solution Shaping"), which will include both analysis and feasibility PoC Tasks.

As I say, all comments welcome. It may be that it's too close to EssUP's "Shape Solution" and could cause confusion, especially if the BUP Activity is not a good match for it. Perhaps DJ could help with a view here?

Given the forthcoming deadline, I'll raise a bugzilla now but would welcome opinions for or against before deciding to make the change.

regards

Mark
Mark Dickson
SAE Practice
m 0780 1917480
w www.xansa.com
e mark.dickson@xxxxxxxxx

Whilst this email has been checked for all known viruses, recipients should undertake their own virus checking as Xansa will not accept any liability whatsoever.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and protected by client privilege. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient.
Please delete it and notify the sender if you have received it in
error. Unauthorised use is prohibited.

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the organisation.
Xansa, Registered Office: 420 Thames Valley Park Drive,
Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6 1PU, UK.
Registered in England No.1000954.
t +44 (0)8702 416181
w www.xansa.com

Back to the top