Re: [epf-dev] OPEN Process Framework Repository

Donald,

1) To save the content in a method editor, you can click the Save or Save All button (the 2nd and 3rd button on the global toolbar). Even if you don't do so, the tool will prompt you to save your changes when you close the editor or the tool. Note: The Save button will be enabled when you select an editor with content that hasn't been saved. The Save All button will be enabled when one or more editors have unsaved content. The Save and Save All on the File menu behave the same way. Save As... is always disabled for now. It is meant for saving the current method library to another library.

2) The content of a method library is stored in a unique folder called a method library folder. EPF Composer allows you to switch between different method libraries but any at given time, you can only work on a single method library. Last but not least, you must have an open method library before you can create a method plug-in or configuration. Once you start to work with element variability (i.e having a role extends, contributes to or replaces another role) and configuration, you will understand why method plug-ins need to be organized and partitioned properly right from the start. It really involves some architectural and design decisions.

Regards,
Kelvin

Kelvin Low
Software Architect
IBM Method and IC Engineering
tel:  408-342-4630
fax: 408-863-4144
email: lowk@xxxxxxxxxx

Donald Firesmith <dgf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/02/2006 06:37 AM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [epf-dev] OPEN Process Framework Repository

Peter,
I encounter a couple of problems:
1) The editor windows on the right do not have a save or save all button
anywhere.  I must click on the x on the window tab.  It asks me if I
want to save the changes and I say yes.  They are available to look at
and update until I decide to exit the tool.  The save, save as, and save
all choices under the file drop down menu bar are all grayed and
disabled.   When is the save choice to be used if everything is
supposedly saved as you go?
2) When I try to find my method library using the open method library
selection, it is not there and  I get the IUPL0300E: Unable to open the
specified method library error. I look in the appropriate method library
file folders and although the plugin.xmi file is there, the actual
roles,  tasks,  etc. are not.

Maybe I should just uninstall and then reinstall the entire program.

Also, the user interface to begin work on a method plug-in is too much
concerned with the file structure.  The user should be able to pick from
a list of available method plug-ins.  Why should the user know or care
about file location at this time?  It merely creates the possibility
that the user looses the files or gets confused as to what he/she is
looking for or where.  This seems to be another example of  a
user-interface that is more oriented towards the tool developer than the
tool user.
:-(
Don Firesmith
OPFRO Chair