Re: [epf-dev] EPF development process

Hi Alan,

Excellent discussion. Let me add my 2 cents to this:

I guess there's a distinction between the "before" and the "after" :-)

Before IBM donated the tool and process content to initiate this project, we (IBM) followed internally a derivative of RUP for our development process. We do have Use-Case documents, UML Models, change requests, version control of artifacts, etc. These docs also capture information about the IBM commercial product on this area (Rational Method Composer) and my take is that they were not (at least originally) intended to be disclosed as part of this contribution.

Moreover, since now the project is running under Eclipse organization, there is the Eclipse process used for governance of projects (http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/). And Eclipse also provides the infrastructure and tools for the project to run: CVS for source control, Bugzilla for capturing change requests and discussions. >From the tool development perspective, we expect to follow BUP as the development process :-)

One important document now is the project plan and how it will be broken down by each component (tool, BUP and Agile) in order to achieve the objectives for each milestone. Please keep an eye on what's happening with each project component to understand how to participate (www.eclipse.org/epf).

About the specific milestone you refer below, project participants are expected to follow the "legal process" defined by Eclipse to become committers, It is not a reference to a "development process".

I hope that it clarifies a bit.
Regards,

Ricardo Balduino
IBM | EPF Committer

Alan Kelon Oliveira de Moraes <alan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/16/2006 08:46 PM

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [epf-dev] EPF development process

Hi Alan,

Hi, Kelvin,

Are you asking about the way the EPF Java packages should be named?

Not exactly... I am trying to figure out the development process adopted by commiters.You (I hope "we" nearly) are building a development process and you are not using one sw process, eg, RUP? Aren't there UML documents, QA audits or Testing documents?

Please I am not trying to generate a flamewar about this issue :-) I would just like to see your process, its phases and how the tasks are assigned to better track the development. I am really interested in the configuration management plan adopted.

In the project web site, the first milestone has the following goal: "Legal process to be completed by initial committers". It is fine but it is much high level, so the users outside the companies donating code/content do not know how to help in the development, where to improve the EPF Composer and so on. Can you understand what I am trying to say? [again my English is not so good...]

Thank you for your reply and sorry any confusion,

--
Alan Kelon Oliveira de Moraes -
kelon.org