Re: [egit-dev] Relative path to HOME directory

On 14.12.2011 00:05, Robin Rosenberg wrote:
Songpants skrev 2011-12-13 09.12:
Dear list,

I'm pretty new to the Git Universe, but managed to set Git up on my computer. Being a great fan of portable software, I chose the portable version of Git which needs some tweaking with respect to also making the user's home directory portable. However, AFAIU EGit solely relies on a specifically set Windows HOME variable, right? Is it possible to change that to relative path somehow (let's say taking the directory where eclipse.exe resides as a reference point)? I could set up a respective environment variable in Eclipse that EGit could pick up to find HOME. That would really be cool as that way I wouldn't have to "hard-set" HOME to the home directory I only need when
using Git (which is on my USB drive)

Thanks for any answers!

No you cannot override that, but you could create a script that sets HOME and launches Eclipse.

The reason is that Java has user.home point to the roaming profile, which is usually not what one (me at least), so we override
it do be C Git compatible.

First of: thanks a lot to everyone contributing to the development of EGit. I love open-source software and I'm aware of the level of enthusiasm and good will developers provide in order come up with such a software!

Then of course, the real question is: Why do you want EGit, and nobody else, to believe HOME is a USB disk?

True. I should set up a "portable HOME" on my USB drive where all of my settings etc. live

Yet, the main reason why I "don't like" the concept of EGit using an explicitly set HOME: that means I have to change system setting in the OS of the computer I'm using (i.e. setting the HOME variable in Windows), which I might not be allowed to do in some use cases. And that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid by running my programs off an USB device as it "ensures" (at least to some extend) true portability.

IMHO, with EGit running as a plugin of Eclipse (which can be run as a portable app without problems) it would be nice if it would give a user the choice to either rely on OS's HOME variable or to look for an Eclipse HOME variable (which would need to be set and which would point to a user's portable HOME directory on the USB drive).

If technically possible, it'd be great if you could consider this for future releases!

Thanks a lot,
Janko

-- robin