[egit-dev] Granularity of changes

Hey there,

I was working on a bug yesterday (bug 307112 for the sake of completeness). The problem: Not only bug fixing was neccessary but also several refactorings that make the code more readable. First off, I extracted several methods, commit, then refactored some of the logic how the dialog behaves, commit, and finally fixed the bug itself. In the past, I squashed all commits together and pushed them upstream. But I think the right thing to do is to push all of the steps to the repo to a) have a history that makes it easy to follow the development and b) give others a better possibility to follow my changes. Pushing all commits means that we need to review step by step instead of one bug chunk.

What's your opinion on that? I'd prefer pushing the steps as separate commits but if the rest of the team thinks that the review overhead is too much, that's ok with me.

Any comments on that one?

Regards,
Benny

Back to the top