Re: [egit-dev] GitClipse?

Hi,

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

> So I was informed there's another group of people attempting a Java Git
> library and some Eclipse tooling.
>     http://gitclipse.sourceforge.net/
>
> Has anyone reached out to these folks? I mean, I'm a pragmatist when it
> comes to open source stuff, but I really see no reason to have two
> separate projects here.
>
> I would be all for being welcoming for the GitClipse folks to come on to
> Eclipse.org and help with the effort.
>
> Or has this project just died really (not too much activity as of late)
> it seems?

Not wanting to sound harsh, but Open Source is not only about being nice,
it is also about proving your being superior to, and more compentent than,
anybody else.

So, by failing to make their efforts be known to those who are really the
experts on Git internals, they proved something, if maybe not exactly what
they tried to prove.

Besides, it is well known that JGit went through all kinds of stages, the
later ones being defined by pragmatism more than "cleanliness of code".
Some things need to be implemented in ugly ways in Java, if you want to
end up with efficient code, after all, at least that's what this developer
found out by painful experience.

Conclusion: I'd not take them too seriously.

Ciao,
Dscho

Back to the top