Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

So there's no problem with having checked-in .project files, then? Surely if we're doing manifest-first development, then the manifest will be in there and available for PDE to consult?

On Jan 6, 2010, at 14:23, Jason van Zyl wrote:

The calculations are still running for 2009, but Maven Central had ~1.8M uniques in 2008, and logs processing for 2009 aren't done but will be well over 2M unique IPs. There are a lot of people using Maven. The build infrastructure and what it's connected to go far beyond you and Shawn are familiar with. Again, we asked and you wanted a manifest-first build so that's what we did.

My point is if you want the highest degree of participation at the community level then a Maven build is probably what you want. It also means that people who don't use Eclipse can also take the neutral format of the POM and import the project into IDEA or Netbeans and almost the same capabilities they have with M2Eclipse. Most of the world uses Eclipse but there are still lots of great developers who use IDEA and Netbeans and checked in Eclipse project files don't mean anything to them.

On 2010-01-06, at 9:17 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

On 2010-01-06, at 7:14 AM, Robin Rosenberg wrote:

onsdagen den 6 januari 2010 05.10.37 skrev  Igor Fedorenko:
Robin,

You should be able to import egit as existing eclipse projects into
workspace, unless I am missing something.

Things get little bit more interesting if you want to have both jgit and egit projects in the same workspace. In order to trick PDE to consider jgit projects you need to do two things. First, you need to generate bundle manifests by running jgit CLI build. Second, you need to add PDE
nature to o.e.jgit and o.e.jgit.junit projects. You may have to
regenerate manifests after significant changes (new dependencies), but
hopefully this won't be needed too often.

This is not really an acceptable procedure. It's ten steps backwards to what
we had a short while ago.

I'll explain to you why that's not likely the case.

In 2008 there were XXX uniques against Maven Central, in 2009 there were YYY. It is very likely that a very high percentage of anyone who comes to this project is going to be familiar with Maven. If you want to grow the number of participants in the project having a Maven build is your best bet. Especially if you are going to use it in the headless build, want to participate in Maven Central, and from within M2Eclipse users get automatic javadoc and sources downloading while working with JGit plus they can immediately materialize a binary level dependency on JGit in a collaborating project to a source level dependency in the workspace so they can provide you with patches very easily.

You didn't have a headless build, that is 50 steps backward in terms of having a community that participates.

You had a home grown build which almost no one else will understand, that is another 50 steps backward in terms of having a community that participates.

Someone who understands the standard Maven build is far more likely to understand the Tycho based build. You will get people who are interested in EGit getting interested in JGit and vice versa. And those users will understand the infrastructure of both projects because they are Maven-based.

Your best bet for integrated development by others is a maven- bundle-plugin based build for JGit, and a Tycho based build for EGit and we can make it all work together nicely in Eclipse but you have to have some patience. This is not a trivial amount of work. Igor and I probably shouldn't have let you do a full Tycho build but you guys are free to do what you like so we didn't say anything because we're not really actively working on the source.

We asked what people wanted and no one really said anything and we went ahead and converted the build. Have a little patience and we'll help you get it right. It's not that far off and it's not that hard for us to fix these things.

-- robin

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven