Re: [eclipselink-users] EclipseLink as ActiveMQ persistence adapter?

Hi Scott,

    I'm doing some due diligence on this and will get back to you directly.

        Shaun

On 30/9/2010 4:10 PM, Scott Lewis wrote:
 Hi Shaun,

On 9/30/2010 11:43 AM, Shaun Smith wrote:

<stuff deleted>

Do you think this is doable?  Upon some thought I suppose it would have to be a 'feature' of the persistence adapter...i.e. to unwrap these messages.
I don't see why not.  I assume the wrapped objects are unaware of and have no dependencies on the wrapper so they should define a nice tidy object graph.  In fact I think this makes the most sense.  An ECF/EclipseLink PersistenceAdapter could wrap/unwrap as necessary if there's no need to persist any of the data contained by any of the wrappers.

Yeah, that was my thinking.

For the EclipseLink impl of ActiveMQ persistence adapter let's do this..maybe you could just make up a single, relatively simple, class for JPA mapping...and we can both attempt to understand the ActiveMQ persistence adapter API better than we do now.
I think the class interacting with JPA is the PersistenceAdapter itself who's API doesn't look that complicated.  And I assume that we're free to design a database schema that suits us so my primary interest is in figuring out what domain model classes we need to persist and their relationships.

Right.  Actually, where I'm headed with this is to have a persisted implementation of distributed event admin...i.e. see:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Distributed_EventAdmin_Service

In this model, the idea would be to persist all instances of the Event class (and/or instances application-specific subclasses of Event).  The fq name of the Event class is:  org.osgi.service.event.Event, and in Equinox it's in org.eclipse.osgi.services bundle.

I feel I need to understand the API better than I do now...and so I'll look at the other existing persistence adapters as well as the code that you come up with that uses EclipseLink to implement the persistence adapter...as long as you are willing/able to share it with me as it's being developed (e.g. through EclipseLink incubation area?...or somewhere else?).
The EclipseLink incubator may be a good choice for now.  We have a relatively light weight process to create a new component (http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/Incubation).  But given the dependencies this code will have on ActiveMQ it's probably better if it lives in ECF, which I assume already has a dependency and all the appropriate CQs in place?

Unfortunately, no.  ActiveMQ has got so many dependencies (e.g. on other apache libs, etc) that we've been daunted in even proposing to have it go through the IP approval process.   Because of this, ECF does not have it's JMS/ActiveMQ provider bundle in the eclipse.org repository.  Rather, we've got a github repository for this code here:

http://github.com/ECF

The projects I am talking about are currently in the JMS public repository.  As you can see we have other codebases there as well...mostly because of dependencies on other libs that cannot go through the EF process (e.g. are gpl, or lgpl, etc).

So I/we can/could add a new project for this persistence adapter to this JMS repository...and I will do so if/when you say.  Of course we can/would make you (and others) able to modify things/give your github account access.  Before I do this though...will this be OK with you and employer...and if so do you already have a project (that I could add)...or should I create one? (and if so...in what namespace?).

Thanks Shaun.

Scott